Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight LRH Ignition Problems

Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Spike

Default Knight LRH Ignition Problems

I am having problems getting my new LRH to fire. I am using hot primers (Remington STS, Federal 209A, CCI 209M) and 120g of BH209 with a Barnes 290g TMZ. I use firm seating pressure with a range rod. I have tried the red plastic jackets and the nfpj breech conversion. The primer goes off but the powder does not ignite. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Fork Horn

And the troubleshooting done so far is?????
Lets start with basics...Is breech plug wet with oil/anti-seize? Can you see through breech plug? Is powder wet when you pulled breech plug? Did you take gun from cold ass A/C car and sit in hot ass sun on shooting bench..then load without swabbing barrel or firing off a few primers with rod/patch down barrel? Got any suspects yet?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

sounds like a plugged breech plug,
Old 09-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem with my new LRH and it think it was oil/grease that the breech plug was shipped with. Give the breech a good Hoppes going over, followed by a good soap and hot water bath. That solved my problem. Also, most people seem to have good luck with the plastic jacket set up, but I am having my best luck with the conversion (bare primer) set up.

Also, be sure and use a 1/8 inch drill bit after each shooting session to ream out the fire channel from the rear of the breech. You will be astounded how much fouling build up you get out.

And, of course, always pop a couple of caps off before each shooting session to dry out the breech plug/barrel.

Also, I have never used sabots, but if they are relatively loose, it may not ignite.