Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Trying new things with a Wolverine

Old 09-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Trying new things with a Wolverine

I had been reading my field range notes and saw that my Knight Wolverine LK-II shot well with 85 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a 300 grain Hornady XTP .44 caliber with a Hornady Crushed Rib sabot. So I started to figure an equal black powder load and decided that with that 22 inch barrel 100 grain would be about right.

I had the target at 35 yards, and the bench rest up. This little Wolverine has a $19.00 (that's right) Simmons 2.5 power scope on it. I decided to use the center bull.

After shooting off all of the 300 grain in that box, I switched over to some .44 caliber 240 grain XTP. I used the same powder charge and sabot.

I was shooting at one of the upper smaller bull eyes. And I was surprised that the 240 grain .44 caliber shot that well.

So I then brought out a set of shooting sticks that I will be using this hunting season. I was more then pleased with the way this Wolverine shot off the sticks as well.

On a side note, I have been treating this little Wolverine with Montana X-treme products. I have scrubbed the bore with solvent after each cleaning, and then hit it with bore conditioner, and finally their gun oil. Whether this is what is doing the job with keeping the bore clean, but I was shooting black powder. And I was swabbing with alcohol. One patch was giving me four swabs. And I was not using dry patches to follow the lightly damp patch for the fouling. This little rifle just worked flawless.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Cann't really say much about your shooting - you always shoot very well and it doesn't matter which rifle you bring out, or whether you are shooting from the box or the sticks... it's just that Dave always shoots well as he understands his ML's...

This quote I think is worth noting....

On a side note, I have been treating this little Wolverine with Montana X-treme products. I have scrubbed the bore with solvent after each cleaning, and then hit it with bore conditioner, and finally their gun oil. Whether this is what is doing the job with keeping the bore clean, but I was shooting black powder. And I was swabbing with alcohol. One patch was giving me four swabs. And I was not using dry patches to follow the lightly damp patch for the fouling. This little rifle just worked flawless.
I really believe the manner that you treat the barrel makes a ton of difference in what your barrel retains after the shot. I am still of the belief that the T7 'crud ring' is a chemical reaction from what is in T7 and what is in your bore or bore pores... It should be noted the that Montana X-Treme products contain '0' teflon which might be a culprit in the formation of the 'crud ring' - especially if it is being stored in the pores...

Interesting, to me at least, that you re-used your wipe patch 4 times and not running a dry patch. I have been able to re-use a windex/ammonia patch many more times than 4 (ammonia does not evaporate and dry as fast as your alcohol patch) and i never run a dry patch either.

Thanks for the report Dave....
Old 09-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

The only reason I could not use the wet patch more then four times, is they kept tearing when they meet with the cleaning/loading jag. Another thing that has helped me tons is all the tips I got about trigger/finger control. I have been really concentrating on that, and it had tightened the groups.

Once all the weeds die out along the shooting lane, I can start shooting further. With the bad knee, I never went in this spring and summer and wacked them with my brush hog. So they kind of grew out into the lane a little. The first good frost will take care of that.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
On a side note, I have been treating this little Wolverine with Montana X-treme products. I have scrubbed the bore with solvent after each cleaning, and then hit it with bore conditioner, and finally their gun oil.
Cayugad:

What product do you use for the bore conditioner? Is it one of these?

Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Accuracy Gun Oil 4 oz Liquid

Montana X-Treme Bore Cleaning Solvent and Polishing Compound Paste 10cc Syringe

I've had good results using Montana's Bore solvent and Copper Killer, but that's all I've used. Thanks for your help and the interesting report.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice Dave - Looks like the 300s or 240s will work for you.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe, just maybe, the bore conditioner had an effect. But it seems to me that between the combustion of the powder and swabbing with alcohol, the bore conditioner is unlikely to have still been on the metal.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I use the Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner Accuracy Oil, and before I put the rifle away, I run a light patch of the Montana X-treme Gun Oil. It probably is not necessary, but it makes me feel much better with the rifle sitting on the shelf.

Semisane.. I was thinking the same thing. I use pure 91% isopropyl alcohol to swab, I swabbed the barrel with it before starting, and even popped a couple #11 caps. I kind of have to agree with you that any trace of the bore conditioner is gone. BUT the rifle had little fouling, and it cleaned up super easy. But then all my rifles seem to clean up easy for me.

Its not my intention to promote the Montana X-treme products, but I did feel it was worth mentioning that my Wolverines are cleaned and maintained with those products. And they worked perfect. I have countless other rifles that shoot just as well, and are not Montana X-treme rifles.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

That is the point... especially with the Montana products - it is not on the metal - it is in the metal....

Montana X-treme BC will leach its way into the pores and also force other deposits out... each time you create some heat you will open the pores that have your BC in them... It sounds far fetched but but i believe it works - thus Dave does not get a lt of fouling build up...

+ using the alcohol that Dave uses it just closes the pores tighter when they feel the chilling effect of the alcohol....

Keep thinking of things to add... but Dave when he originally tried Montana BC ran into this leaching - as he put the bore conditioner in one of his spick and span bores came bach a few days later and found dicoloration... it was the bore conditioner leaching into the pores and forcing some old residue out of the pores...

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-20-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

You know, I bought some of the BC last year when you guys first started talking about it and used it on my Mustang one time. I remember that I wasn't impressed with the initial shooting results. I'm not sure if I correctly remember why I wasn't impressed, but I think it was that I got a really poor group with the first 4 or 5 shots out of the treated barrel. Whatever the reason, I stopped using it.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice report and very good shooting.

As far as conditioning the bore, that's another advantage to BH209. I will say in hunting season if i was using 777 i would not run alcohol in the barrel and risk those preservatives coming out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.