Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Triumph vs Thompson Omega?

Old 09-13-2009, 04:42 PM
EBB
Spike

Default Thompson Triumph vs Thompson Omega?

Does anyone know the difference between these two guns? From what I gather via the web the Triumph's got easier breech access and their new quick-release breech.

But is the overall geometry, weight, balance the same? I ask because of all the BP guns I picked up at the shop, I liked the feel of the Triumph best. However, if I could save $170 by passing on this season's bells and whistles, I'd be pleased.

Thanks for any advice. This is my first foray into BP.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

The biggest difference is the speed breech, breech plug on the Triumph and the fact that it is a break action gun. I like the feel of the Omega better and you can get it with a stainless barrel. But remember that the feel of the gun is always personal opinion. What feels right for me might not be the same for you. I really like my Omega and its a tack driver if I do my part. You'll have a fine gun either way you go but if I was going to buy another one it would be the Omega for me. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the the thumbhole, laminted stock, SS Omega and it is a fine smokepole, but after just 2 seasons I think I might move over to the Triumph
Old 09-14-2009, 08:25 AM
EBB
Spike

Thanks, I went for the Triumph.
Cabela's is selling it for $399 WITH scope. Pretty good. It was $500 without scope at Gander.

I've done some more reading and checked out some videos, it seems like a decent gun - and it kinda spoke to me at the shop, which is always a good sign.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

which Triumph did you get for $399?

Good luck with it
Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM
EBB
Spike

T/C TRIUMPH .50 BLUE/BLK COMPOSITE is how they list it.

I'm guessing it's without their new "weather shield" but I'm not going to let it bother me.

It comes with their own Pine Ridge scope. Not a Leopold, but totally fine for my woods which don't allow more than 70 yards anyway.

Thanks again.

Last edited by EBB; 09-15-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SHulion
The biggest difference is the speed breech, breech plug on the Triumph and the fact that it is a break action gun. I like the feel of the Omega better and you can get it with a stainless barrel. But remember that the feel of the gun is always personal opinion. What feels right for me might not be the same for you. I really like my Omega and its a tack driver if I do my part. You'll have a fine gun either way you go but if I was going to buy another one it would be the Omega for me. Good luck with your decision.
I have a Encore but my son has a Omega z5 and i feel the omega is the simplest trouble free design made . No hinge pin to deal with , He has a 1x scope on his and it no big deal to remove the BP takes about 30 sec and you can free float the forearm just like you would a bolt action rifle . Scope or no scope it feels great !! A SS Omega with camo stock would be my #1 chioce of i ever replace mt encore .

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firea...ls.php?ID=8928

Last edited by UtahRob; 09-17-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have both, there are two big differences and the Triumph is usually a bit higher
in price. The first difference is in the stock the Omega is designed with a low comb
for us of iron sights the Triumph is designed with a high comb for use with a scope.
The second big difference is in use the reloading of the primer is much faster and easier, as is the cleaning. As for the hinge pin I have never heard of a Triumph that had that problem only Encores. Also the trigger in my Triumph was better as mine came out of the box but since I always rework factory triggers to my own specs that does not make much difference to me. As they came out of the box the Triumph is the most accurate by a quarter to a half inch in the groups with the loads the gun likes best but they both will hold 1.5 inches so that would not make much difference as far as hunting is concerned. The Omega likes a wider rages of load and a lower powder charge. Some of these thing may be attributes of my individual guns but most are in the same pattern that I see in other peoples posts. Enjoy shooting and let us know if we can help you. Lee
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 AM
EBB
Spike

Originally Posted by lemoyne
the Triumph is the most accurate by a quarter to a half inch in the groups with the loads the gun likes best Lee
Thanks! Well, since this is my first BP gun what does this gun like best? (never even fired one yet) I know nothing about loads or what rounds to use. I'd love any advice you could give me.

To help answer, this is gonna be a deer gun (there are numerous sabot options out there... what do you use?) My woods are dense so I'm looking at 50-75 yards max.

Thanks again! Looking forward to it.
Got the gun because I had shoulder surgery in January and still can't pull me bow back.

When one door closes, another opens...
Old 09-19-2009, 06:46 PM
PHA
Fork Horn

Am I right in thinking that the Triumph's are not stainless and the weather shield coating is only on the outside and not the inside of the barrel where you really need the protection to be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.