Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Report

Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Range Report

Hey guys how ya doing? I figured I would give ya guys a range report since I have not talked to ya guys for a while. So I went out this evening with my GM 62cal SB on a Renegade stock.

My first goal was to come up with some sort of dove load. I was using 7.5 shot. I loaded 75gr FFG KIK since I had my 75gr spout on my flask, shot cup full of 7.5 shot which worked out to probably 7/8 to an 1oz of shot. Topped it off with over the shot card.

I was shooting at 35yds and the pattern was really big. I think next time I need to come in to 20yds. I did throw a few clays with my thrower and I broke one in half so thats not bad. I need to do some more playing with this dove load I think. I probably just need to move in closer.

After that I decided to try my turkey load. I dumped 90gr FFG KIK down the bore, dry fiber wad, nitro card, 1-3/8oz of #5 shot, and 2 over the shot cards. At 20yds I counted 12 pelets in the head/ neck area of a turkey. I think thats a dead turkey!

Overall, Im not too dissapointed in this gun for being open bore. I have considered jug choking it to IC but I dont want to loose RB accuracy. So I need to decide if I want better RB accuracy or better shot patterns.

Last edited by Sharp Shooter; 09-10-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:32 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you are on the right track. Have you tried using 20 gauge cushon wad/shot cups?
Last year I bought and put together a kit from North Star West. It is a 62 caliber smooth bore early english trade gun. It seems to shoot tighter patterns when I use these shot cups. I shoot 80gr goex with equal volume of #6 shot with orange juce wax carton over shot card. It works pretty good for me but I am still experimenting.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

That sounds like a lot of fun. When I was shooting trap with that same barrel, I would dump the powder, push a 20 gauge shotcup on it, then an equal amount of shot, and then two of the over the shot cards. Shooting clays was a real challenge, but I was able to take a couple grouse with that load.

I also agree, the closer the better..