Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New ML

Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Wink New ML

Just bought my 15 yr old daughter her first muzzleloader.She got a CVA buckhorn. This will be her first season going with me. She can't wait. Think she is more excited for this than christmas. If that is possible. I myself can't wait to take her. Any thoughts on the gun?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

The CVA BuckHorn is a really good gun. i have scoped and sighted in a lot of them for local hunters. The stock of the BuckHorn is much more rigid that the stock of the gun it replaced; the StagHorn.

Start the young lady out by loading 70 grains of Pyrodex and the excellent 240 grain XTP bullet. That load produces very little recoil. Increase the powder charge to 80 grains and then to 90 grains if she still has no problems with recoil. 80 or 90 grains of Pyrodex and the 240 grain XTP bullet is a good deer load.

i hope that your daughter bags a big deer.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Falcon, I hope she bags a big one also, don't care if I do just as long as she does. She is already shooting 100g out of my Traditions Yukon. As well as handling my 12 ga shotgun with no problem.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like she should be good to go! Hunting with your daughter is going to be an awesome experience!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dropped a truckload of deer with 85gr pyrodex and a 240gr HTP out of my old sidelock. Unless she's shooting over 100yds, no need to risk giving her a flinch.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I have an old Staghorn Magnum and the rifle you purchased for her replaced mine with some very excellent additions. It has a double lug system and a stiff stock. If it shoots half as good as my old Staghorn, you just remember, you bought it for her.

My Staghorn like 90 grains of powder, and anything you want to stuff down it. I would suggest a 250 grains Shockwave and start her at 80 grains and work it up from there. I think you are going to have a lot of fun with that rifle. And I wish her and you the best of luck.