Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gun Cases?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Gun Cases?

Just out of curiosity, if you use a case to either store or transport your muzzleloader, what case do you prefer?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to use a hard case when going hunting and to the range.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I always case my guns with or without scopes. I don't have money to through away on new guns like some guys. The way some people care for or handle their guns is criminal.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a hard plastic case for transporting back and forth to the range and on trips. But once I get to camp or if I'm leaving to go hunting from my house, I don't use one.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any of you fellas use Pelican Cases? I have one for the Endeavor and I love it.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use metal cases fdor all transport. I travel alot w/ my guns and this was the best way to keep em' safe.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you guys find that transporting them in the plastic cases with foam inside keeps the scope from getting knocked off zero? I bought a case at Wal-Mart for $20 that's one of the double gun ones not long ago but I haven't had a chance to try my muzzle loader out in it. I previously used a gun sock but was very careful that the scope didn't bounce around and hit anything. With these hard cases can I just put it in there and put it in the truck or back seat and not worry about the scope?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Do you guys find that transporting them in the plastic cases with foam inside keeps the scope from getting knocked off zero? I bought a case at Wal-Mart for $20 that's one of the double gun ones not long ago but I haven't had a chance to try my muzzle loader out in it. I previously used a gun sock but was very careful that the scope didn't bounce around and hit anything. With these hard cases can I just put it in there and put it in the truck or back seat and not worry about the scope?
I've never had one lose zero... been usin' them about 10 years now. That being said, I don't throw my guns around either. When I put them in the car/truck I make sure they aren't going to slide off the seat or something is going to fall on them.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I haven't had a gun knock off zero while inside a case. But I was using a RedHead hard case for a while. I just noticed that it was allowing a little dust to enter the case and would also allow a little condensation. I have experience with Pelican Cases being that the military primarily uses them for their sniper rifles. IMO, they're as good as it gets. I recently bought one and I couldn't be happier. You lay the gun on the center section of foam, trace it with chalk, and then cut out the shape with an electric carving knife. Kind of a PITA but you can't get a tighter fit anywhere else. And Pelican Cases are also air tight and water proof. I have seen some people have issues with condensation being trapped inside due to the tight seal when closed, but Pelican also sells Desiccant cartridges that eliminate that issue. Plus, they're pretty much indestructable. I wouldn't have a second thought if I needed to fly and checked my rifle. The loading crew can beat the crap out of this case and it wouldn't be phased.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

had an issue once where the foam got wet somehow and put the gun in the case and forgot about it for a couple weeks when my parents got real sick, bad rust problem. Make sure you get em' out when not in use. Used to spray the foam inside w/ wd40.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.