Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gun Cases?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

i have a fiberglass gun case[ very ridged] and when i leave tomorrow morning at 5 am. for the caribou hunt ,i will not worry that some moron throws it into the planes baggage suit .my fishing rod is also included in my gun case .
Old 09-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck on your hunt!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buck Hunter 1
had an issue once where the foam got wet somehow and put the gun in the case and forgot about it for a couple weeks when my parents got real sick, bad rust problem. Make sure you get em' out when not in use. Used to spray the foam inside w/ wd40.
Are you talking about Pelican Cases or hard cases in general?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Banned

We just use soft padded rifle cases for the muzzleloaders.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you guys find that transporting them in the plastic cases with foam inside keeps the scope from getting knocked off zero?
Yes definately! I once had a Leupold lose zero on me that was in a padded bag riding in the back of the truck just coming home from the range. But I guess that was enough to throw it off.

So now once I have a gun sighted in for hunting season, no matter where it goes, it goes in a hard plastic case. My MLs are all sidelocks and do not use scopes. For those I will use either the padded bag or hard case with the lock facing up.

Last edited by RobertSubnet; 09-09-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

I use this style of gun case:

It is made by Plano and is very good for the money. It is called the 1301 AIRGLIDE GUN CASE. It is listed here at the Plano website:

http://www.planomolding.com/fall/products.asp

I paid about $30. for mine at Cabalas. Don't know if they still sell them though. What I like about this case is that it lets the gun float in its support form. It will handle guns up to 50' long.

As to storing a gun in a foam case, I don't recommend that. I only use my cases to transport my guns. Any foam or cloth case will soak up and hold moisture and that will rust guns as someone has already stated.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

I use both soft and hard cases in WIs we have to have our rifles cased when in a vehicle or we get a 210.00 fine. Do not even lean a gun against a vehicle.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

SW Thomas, If you have foam and it get's wet it will rust the gun. Yes we used wd40 and sprayed on the foam. Stunk like h--- but never a rust problem. When I get home from a travel out of that case it comes and I leave the case open and if possible pull the foam out to dry as well.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

No case here. Whilst traveling in the truck, the rifles are jammed in between the seats, or in the gun rack.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Johnmorris
I use both soft and hard cases in WIs we have to have our rifles cased when in a vehicle or we get a 210.00 fine. Do not even lean a gun against a vehicle.
I may see the casing of guns in vehicles, but what the hell is the idea of not being able to leaning a gun against a vehicle? What do you do when you get out of the vehicle and get ready to go into the woods?

Sometimes these idiot politicians can put really stupid stuff into law.