Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My Evolution came in. Thor shooter!!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Banned

Default My Evolution came in. Thor shooter!!

Traded off one of my flintlocks for this one. It finally came snail mail (UPS)

Over all im lovin it! Trigger is right around 3.5lbs with just a tiny bit of creep, No grit though! Shoulders nicely and open sights easily come into view. Ramrod i may cut down 1/2" so it sits flush (Aluminum)

I grabbed my Thor Bullets and first put in a .500 colorado thor and it dropped down the muzzle and came out the breech end :lol: Grabbed a .501" thor and it fit like a glove! Maybe 20lbs of pressure to seat it.

My first shot i started short, 10 yards and was 4" low and 4" to the right.

Made some adjustments and surprisingly on shot #2, i nailed the 1" bullseye and knocked it off the target!

Went back in to reload and the bullet went down smoothly on a fouled bore. Put in a primer, took it out a new target with a black 3" circle, aimed and fired. Took out the X on the bullseye , dead center! Its right about 1 1/2" high @ 50 yards which should put me close to dead on @ 100 yards.

Its a very simple rifle, takes a little longer to clean but damn is it a shooter! 3 shots total and im ready for 100 yards!

I was shooting 80gr Pyrodex RS, Winchester W209 and the 247gr Colorado Thor conical. Pretty much zero recoil.

Once im at 100 yards i will see if i need to up my charge any to tighten the groups or not.

Its a fun little rifle so far!

Im going to let my brother use this one for his cow elk hunt coming up in 2 weeks. I'll use my Accura for bear and my dad will use his cabelas hawken.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lookin good.....now some pictures from the range and videos of exploding jugs. Do they make waterproof cameras?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Hey devil,(I like gander better)
looks like that evolution is gonna work pretty good.

I have a question for you on a CVA topic. I recently purchased an old (used)
CVA Hawken. should be here any day now. Got it from a reputable seller online.

anyway,...you seem to have a lot of experience with CVA traditional guns.
Which two numbers of the serial#is the year of manufacture?

thanks in advance,and good luck with your Thor test.
Woodtick
Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a nice looking gun. I like its lines and the trim looking breech area.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WOODTICK49
Hey devil,(I like gander better)
looks like that evolution is gonna work pretty good.

I have a question for you on a CVA topic. I recently purchased an old (used)
CVA Hawken. should be here any day now. Got it from a reputable seller online.

anyway,...you seem to have a lot of experience with CVA traditional guns.
Which two numbers of the serial#is the year of manufacture?

thanks in advance,and good luck with your Thor test.
Woodtick
Normally if its a new model sidelock it will be the very last two digits in the serial number. If its an older model, 1970's -1980's it will be the very first two digits.

If the weather holds tomorrow, Im taking my brother out to the 100 yard range to do a final sight in. Im really enjoying the rifle! The bolt is easy to clean, Brake cleaner with a spray extension did a great job and also worked great on the trigger/interals.

I am going to call Traditions tomorrow so they can send me a manual and also see if they make a one piece 209 breech plug + i want to see if they still offer laminated stocks for the Evolution.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

I think this rifle may be older than 1970's. the seller gave me a 7 digit serial#
unless it was made by DEERCREEK,it,s not the first 2. The last two are 63.that would mean it should have a Douglas barrel on it. man would that tickle me!!! well I should know by thursday. Thanks.I knew you couldn't resist puttin some of your improvements
on that Evolution.Good Luck with it
Old 08-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

LOL yeah i may also order a cva recoil pad. The pad my Accura has is awesome & its low cost to buy one so what the heck!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

After 3 shots today at 100 yards and getting everything the way it should be. My brother ended up with a 1" center/center 3 shot group! Hes going to be using 90gr Pyrodex RS with the 247gr Colorado Thor , Winchester W209 primer. After that we were doing some more shooting and the rifle was HOT, so hot that it was hard to touch and accuracy went to hell. Its sensitive to intense heat.

I took it home, stripped it and cleaned it all up. Cleaning it wasnt bad, Bolt is fairly easy to clean, Trigger is held on by 2 little allenhead screws and stays pretty much fouling free. No stickiness on the bolt after 9 shots.

We took it out again later in the evening and just wanted to double check everything and he nailed the 9 on the 3" black bullseye. Rifle is done and sighted in!

Ive had the rifle 1 full day and its ready for hunting season!

9 1/2 more days till we head up into the Greenhorns!!!

OOps almost forgot, we're sighting in his CVA Hawken (Round ball load) as a back up rifle just incase any of our main rifles give us trouble. Tomorrow we're going to try some .018 pillow tick and the .015 ox yokes were shredded beyond imagination!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

Just some new pics of the rifle. All of us are finished sighting in so now we just have the fun of getting all the camping gear cleaned and stored in the truck.