Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington STS Primers

Old 08-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington STS Primers

Went to the range today to continue my quest to fine tune my load for this season. I've been using BH 209 and either Speer GDHPs or Hornady XTPs with a variety of Harvester sabots. My primers have to date been CCI 209Ms. With this combo cleaning the barrel of my Omega X7 has been a snap. Cleaning the breach plug is another matter, taking up easily half my time after the range.

I picked up some Rem STS primers since I heard that they are not as fouling as the CCIs. Using them exclusively this time, they performed flawlessly (it's still damn hot out though) and I did not notice anything different in my groupings - still sub-par at 100 yds.

Anyhow, back at home the cleanup was no different. Curious if anyone has found a reliable primer that is not so dirty. I shouldn't whine since I've gotten no blowback at all and every pull of the trigger is an instantaneous shot.

As an aside, I have started practicing shooting standing up without a rest. Now THAT'S a way to get you humble.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still have some STS primers in my range box but I use the CCI 209M's exclusively. My accuracy is so good with my current load that I don't mind a little extra cleaning. And with the Endeavor, popping out the breech plug for a quick wipe down is a snap.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

What i have been using in my X7 with good results is Winchester 209 primers, green crush rib sabot, 270g gold dot, and 105g BH209. This load does make for hard fouling in the breech plug, but it is a way more accurate than i can shoot with the peep sight. I read here or on another forum of a way to clean your breach plug very easily. I am kind of hesitant to recommend it to you, but it works so good i must pass the information on, but beware; don't use this in your barrel, only on your breech plug, and be sure none remains when you are done.

Windex multi-surface cleaner really really cuts the hard fouling on my breech plug
readily, and makes cleaning the breech plug a pleasant experience, compared to using anything else i have tried. However, it will rust or promote rust in your barrel, and i will not use it ever to clean anything but the breech plug. The hard carbon fouling literally falls off the breech plug when one uses this stuff. I hope, if you try it, it works as well on your breech plug as it works on mine, but i also strongly recommend you never use it in your barrel or anywhere else in your rifle.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my case, I listen to my rifle: it likes STS better. shrinks my groups changing from CCIMs to STS's. Use whichever one flies better out of your particular rifle. (Mine is a Knight LRH).
Old 08-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just what part of cleaning the breach plug is a problem. I often shoot an Omega, a Triumph and an Endeavor in the same session when its warm shooting one while the others are cooling.using BH an the only thing I clean before I get ready to go home is getting the carbon out of the firing channel beyond the primer pocket and that's a 3 second job. Two patches wet with a 50/50 solution of #9and alcohol and a dry one and a patch with Montana X bore preservative to clean the barrels wipe off the breach plug. I use a little screw motor with a drill I picked up at Walmart to take out the carbon. I clean all 3 guns in 15 minutes. Lee
Old 08-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to all for the replies.

Lee, I've been using Hopps No. 9 almost exclusively to clean my ML. I did pick up a bottle of the Montana Extreme Cowboy Blend and have not noticed much difference. I'll try cutting it with alcohol to see if that helps.

ronlaughlin, the Windex multi-surface cleaner - is that the one with vinegar? That might explain the warning about letting it near your barrel.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, the label on the jug say it contain vinegar. This stuff cuts the hard crusty build up on breech plugs better than anything i have ever tried. With Hoppes i have to use a brass brush and scrub the breech plug, and when i get done there is still a bit of carbon left.I also need to use a 1/8" drill to remove carbon from the hole below the primer pocket. The exterior of the breech plug looks like new after soaking in the all purpose cleaner, and reaming the hole with the drill takes no effort at all; seems like a pipe cleaner could be used instead of the drill.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 AM
Spike

I also use Windex w/vinegar for breech plug cleaning. I think it works better than Hoppes #9 (faster) and is handy & cheap! I also use a couple patches of it for barrel cleaning, followed by Hoppes #9, dry patches, then Shooters Choice rust preventative. Have seen no rust problems.