Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

URGENT URGENT-----Range help-----*****

Old 08-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

DrAsus

It would still be my suggestion... sight in @ 25 and when i say sight it in... shoot a minumum of a three shot group at each range.

And i still suggest your next move should be to 50 yards, especially with a new gun and a new ML shooter.

After reading your description of you shooting bench and bags - I would really suggest shoot @ 100 yards get great groups there and a POI about 3" inches high.

Get good at shooting a 100 then venture out to the 150 yard mark... but even then shooting with the setup you are using will be iffy at best to shoot great groups.... as you move out in range the the small mistakes get big very quickly.

Good luck hope you find your answers....
Old 08-29-2009, 03:14 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
DrAsus

It would still be my suggestion... sight in @ 25 and when i say sight it in... shoot a minumum of a three shot group at each range.

And i still suggest your next move should be to 50 yards, especially with a new gun and a new ML shooter.

After reading your description of you shooting bench and bags - I would really suggest shoot @ 100 yards get great groups there and a POI about 3" inches high.

Get good at shooting a 100 then venture out to the 150 yard mark... but even then shooting with the setup you are using will be iffy at best to shoot great groups.... as you move out in range the the small mistakes get big very quickly.

Good luck hope you find your answers....
1+
i would really pay attention to this,sight in at 25yds. then go to 50yds. and shoot the rest of range session right there taking lots of time for cleaning between shots.(i even re oil my barrel and then dry patch that back out to simulate my guns hunting condition ,it's that first shot on a clean barrel that means everything to me )slow down,have fun and good luck....karl

Last edited by kb1; 08-29-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would also suggest that you make only one adjustment at a time, or you'll wind up "chasing the needles" all over the place. Pick a load and stick with it until you get your initial sight-in done. You can always adjust the load later, but one thing at a time. I'm also going to repeat the recommendation that you bring the target in closer to do your initial sighting in. Trying to do sight-in at 150 yards with a load that's not known to be accurate is really an exercise in frustration and will burn a lot more time and ammo than starting close and working out from there.

Mike