Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech Plug locked up (Technique to free?)

Old 08-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Breech Plug locked up (Technique to free?)

Today I had my first experience with breech plug lockup. I must have spent about 45 minutes trying to get my breech plug out. Are there any tricks I should know about???

I ended up placing my LRH straight on it's barrel and dripping Kroil oil down on the breech plug. After letting it sit for about 5 min, I was finally able to break it free with a lot of encouragement. Let's just say.....I came very close to reaching for my 4' long cheater bar. kl
Old 08-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me guess, shooting Triple 7?

The penetrating oil technique works pretty good, especially if part of the reason the plug is stuck is because you forgot to grease it (you do grease it when you install it, right?). If the dreaded T7 crud is the culprit, try plugging the primer hole and putting a good amount of BP solvent or plain hot water down the bore. Both will dissolve the T7 filth that will cement a breech plug in place.

One last trick is one you do at the range. After you fire 2-3 shots, stop and loosen the plug, then retighten. This breaks the as yet newly formed but weak fouling seal, and when you retighten there is basically a fault line in the crusty ring that would otherwise seize the plug, allowing it to break free much easier later when it's time for cleaning.

Mike
Old 08-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sound like you might be using 777 it does that. There have been cases where it was a real problem. There are several ways of helping the situation one is to use Blackhorn 209 powder, some that use 777 move there breach plug every few shots. You do need to put a good anti-seize or teflon tape on the plug after cleaning and do NOT crank it down tight finger tight is the rule. If you are using 777 then do try the Teflon tape it is the best answer for 777. You might also us the search engine and look up the thread on applying it by Sabot loader. Lee
Old 08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

klundin2000

If you are going to use T7 then you need to seal the breech from the blowback. The easiets way is with teflon tape and the more common way is with BP grease. I choose to use Teflon.

If the plug siezes it normally is not a big thing... Plug the primer hoe and just drop boiling water into the bore and let it set. After a few minutes the water will dissolve the fouling and the heat will expand and crack the fouling alowing water to drop in...

Here is how I wrap my BP's...

And here is my theory... for the life of me I have not figured out why people would only run the plug up 'finger tight' when you are trying to seal the blowback in the bore. It should not be 'TIGHT' but I believe it should be snug, just enought to squash the tflon but not enoug to tear it...

It seems that all is not equal in the world of shooting a ML - this works for me but you will need to try what works best for you...
Old 08-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader

Good stuff. I learned a lot today. Thank you. kl
Old 08-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Tapes the only way to go !!!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

BH209 doesnt need tape or grease.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

BH209 doesnt need tape or grease.
And some guys don't need BH209.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
And some guys don't need BH209.

And some people just don't catch on quite as quick.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using up the TC Bore Butter on the threads.It does get a little tight but so far hasn't gotten stuck.After the BB's gone I plan to use Teflon tape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.