Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech Plug locked up (Technique to free?)

Old 08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

and to us that shoot something else we should not be considered in the dark ages
I think that's right. Even us dumb old Southern boys that still shoot real black powder deserve respect. RESPECT I say!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned

Im pretty happy with 75.8 grains (Weight) Pyrodex RS and the 250gr Ballistic Tip Thor! I found the sweet spot this evening and have 3 Thors cuddling with eachother @ 100 yards. Tomorrow i get to test them in water/sand to see how the Ballistic Tip Thor will expand.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

All good advice but I use both teflon tape and anti seize grease. I didn't see anyone suggest this but I just scanned the responses. After every 5-7 shots I back my plug out a little and screw it back in. I also do not wait until I get home and the barrel has a chance to cool down. I take it out before I leave the range while it's still warm. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now thats a winner right there! Nice shooting......

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Im pretty happy with 75.8 grains (Weight) Pyrodex RS and the 250gr Ballistic Tip Thor! I found the sweet spot this evening and have 3 Thors cuddling with eachother @ 100 yards. Tomorrow i get to test them in water/sand to see how the Ballistic Tip Thor will expand.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

This elk season in CO will be my first using a ML, a .50 cal T/C Omega. I encountered the locked breech plug during my initial session with the rifle in May. Talk about being locked!
It took two guys holding the rifle while I got up on the bench at the range and put some serious torque on the tool that came with the gun!
I was using 777 FFG... This thread has been very educational.
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
I've been using up the TC Bore Butter on the threads.It does get a little tight but so far hasn't gotten stuck.After the BB's gone I plan to use Teflon tape.

Why wait? You can use the bore butter for other things. I used never-seize for years,now i use Teflon The mess is gone. BTW I never stuck a breech plug,so many ways to prevent it and none are wrong. just up to you.

Charlie
Old 08-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

I have used 3 tubs of BH209 and have just gone to 777 . BH 209 is tooo $$$ , hard to find , hard and breech plug because of the primers needed , so i guess i Like the dark ages better . I convinced a local gun shop to get BH209 in , he got two tubs and i bought one and the other has sat there for over 6 months . They are not getting anymore in , its just too $$$ and nobody is buying it . I can get 777 at all the shop here in town and Wal mart will be dropping the prices ( close out) in a few months . Its great not having to swab beteen shots , but what i gained at the range i lost cleaning the replacing breech plugs . Plus it take only a few secounds swabbing one wet and one dry . Like spomeone esle said its good to cool your gun down too . after shooting 777 and my .25acp last time out , i just don't see that big ( if any) of a advantage of using BH209 . IMO . And me not buying any , leaves more for the rest of ya and thats a good thing !!

Last edited by UtahRob; 08-29-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sjsfire
Now thats a winner right there! Nice shooting......
YEP VERY NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

I been lucky so far with CVA grease I find even with triple 777 powder in my thunderhawk the plug will remove with out any problems(JUST DON'T SEND IT HOME) I ONLY SNUG THE PLUG