Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

wolf muzzleloader

Old 08-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned

Gotta tell us what you're shooting in that rifle now so we can make adjustments and help you out! The wolf is a great little shooting rifle. The Optima only has a longer barrel, nothing more.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the Optima Elite, and did very little testing before finding a recipe that left me extremely pleased. My mixture:
Winchester 209 primers
150 gr. triple seven (3 50 grain pellets)
295 gr powerbelt copper series bullets

I am shooting with open sights, and can put three shots inside just about an inch at 75 yards. I don't figure on taking shots at any distances much farther than that where I will be hunting, but feel that I would be comfortable if the situation arose.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
I shoot the Optima Elite, and did very little testing before finding a recipe that left me extremely pleased. My mixture:
Winchester 209 primers
150 gr. triple seven (3 50 grain pellets)
295 gr powerbelt copper series bullets

I am shooting with open sights, and can put three shots inside just about an inch at 75 yards. I don't figure on taking shots at any distances much farther than that where I will be hunting, but feel that I would be comfortable if the situation arose.
You'll find that PowerBelt will perform better if you drop down to about 80grs of powder...Being soft lead they are going to expand quickly and more than likely you won't have an exit...
Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Wolf, and it is an awesome gun! I shoot 80 grains of Triple Seven loose powder, with a 295 grain powerbelt. I can shoot the hollow point or the Aerotip, it likes them both.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shhot a TC Pro Hunter in my stand and a Wolf when I am pushing, stalking or in real heavy brush. I have it scoped w/ a 4 power and shoot 80 grains of T7 over a 250 grain shockwave. Under 100 yards i will get the inside ring of a pie plate consistent. I started out shooting 2 T7 pellets and couold get no consistent shooting. I lowered my charge and went to the loose powder and am now happy. For a short yardage gun (under 100 yards) it is a killer. I like my wolf, never had t o make a second shot w/ my wolf, nice and light to carry and great in the woods. Another plus is it is small enough to work w/ your kids or wife to learn to hunt with. Good Luck, w/a good gun!!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default wolf is a good gun

Originally Posted by Buck Hunter 1
I shhot a TC Pro Hunter in my stand and a Wolf when I am pushing, stalking or in real heavy brush. I have it scoped w/ a 4 power and shoot 80 grains of T7 over a 250 grain shockwave. Under 100 yards i will get the inner ring of a pie plate consistent. I started out shooting 2 T7 pellets and couold get no consistent shooting. I lowered my charge and went to the loose powder and am now happy. For a short yardage gun (under 100 yards) it is a killer. I like my wolf, never had t o make a second shot w/ my wolf, nice and light to carry and great in the woods. Another plus is it is small enough to work w/ your kids or wife to learn to hunt with. Good Luck, w/a good gun!!
It isd the shooter and how much you want to test your gun and skills , not the gun alone. I know guys that have bookoo dineros in high end guns that can't hit the side of a barn w/them.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

First off don't listen to any nimrod who says the wolf isn't a great little gun because you didn't blow a whole wad of cash on it like they probably did and can't figure out how or why your cheap mL will shoot better than theirs. Its a great little gun for what it is. That being said, you have to work with it to find your load. I must have went through about ten different load choices before I settled on my hunting load. I use 90 grains loose pioneer with a thompson cheap shot. its a soft lead conical but I've dropped every deer I've shot with it in its tracks. Here is another little tip. It says magnum and "can" handle the mag loads to a point but I've sighted in 5 of these little guys I've got my two and my two brothers and father all have one because of how much they liked mine. 100 grains or less is typically the way to go. As questions and listen to the guys in this forum. They know a lot.