Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Homemade ML pistol idea

Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Homemade ML pistol idea

So my state requires a ML pistol to be single shot and at least .50cal to be legal for deer. So my Remingotn 1858 is out.

I have parts from an old New England 12ga, the stock/receiver and foreend. I have no idea what happened to the barrel assembly, I inherited these as parts from my grandfather.

I was thinking of getting a 1:28 twist Green Mountain barrel and manufacturing the correct mounts to turn this into a break-action ML pistol. I would either cut the stock down to a pistol grip, or use it as a pattern to carve a purpose-built handle to get the length of pull correct.

Question is, how long of a barrel, and .50 or .54? I would probably mount some sort of Red Dot sight on it and use it for shots out to about 100 yds.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have hunted and taken several game animals with a muzzle loading pistol over the years, the most effective was the 9 inch barreled 54 caliber with a round ball but my Ruger black powder runs it a close second using some home made 200gr HP. I like the Ruger best for Boar because of the other 5 shots. Lee
Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

I was thinking of getting a 1:28 twist Green Mountain barrel and manufacturing the correct mounts to turn this into a break-action ML pistol. I would either cut the stock down to a pistol grip, or use it as a pattern to carve a purpose-built handle to get the length of pull correct.

Question is, how long of a barrel, and .50 or .54? I would probably mount some sort of Red Dot sight on it and use it for shots out to about 100 yds.[/quote]

You might want to do some checking before altering a shotgun into a pistol. There are rules within the firearms act which outlawed sawed off shotguns, machine guns etc. Since you would be converting to a muzzleloader which is not a firearm the rules get a little vague. The serial number would still refer to it as a shotgun and the barrel would be too short to qualify a a legal one. Anyone else checked this out????
Old 08-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MLKeith

Question is, how long of a barrel, and .50 or .54? I would probably mount some sort of Red Dot sight on it and use it for shots out to about 100 yds.

You might want to do some checking before altering a shotgun into a pistol. There are rules within the firearms act which outlawed sawed off shotguns, machine guns etc. Since you would be converting to a muzzleloader which is not a firearm the rules get a little vague. The serial number would still refer to it as a shotgun and the barrel would be too short to qualify a a legal one. Anyone else checked this out????[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did think of this. I'm going to assume it'd be OK since I'd essentially be turning the shotgun into a "non-gun", but I'd do the due diligence on that one.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
So my state requires a ML pistol to be single shot and at least .50cal to be legal for deer. So my Remingotn 1858 is out.

I have parts from an old New England 12ga, the stock/receiver and foreend. I have no idea what happened to the barrel assembly, I inherited these as parts from my grandfather.

The barrel has to be 12 inches to be legal.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could remove the barrel and cylinder from your Remington and make a single shot barrel the you could take off and remount the original barrel and cylinder when you wanted to.
If you should decide to do this be sure to check the caliber and barrel length required by your state first. Lee
Old 08-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
You could remove the barrel and cylinder from your Remington and make a single shot barrel the you could take off and remount the original barrel and cylinder when you wanted to.
If you should decide to do this be sure to check the caliber and barrel length required by your state first. Lee
I'm not sure this is possible, sounds like more work than what I am proposing. The barrel is pretty integral in the revolver frame.

I know it's 50cal and 12" barrel, which is why I'm looking at this idea. The only thing I have yet to look up is the minimum bullet diameter in a pistol. I have not decided to go 50 or 54, though this will partly depend on whether or not I'd be using sabots. I'm leaning toward making this somewhat exotic, in other words a bit of a hand cannon.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its been done the worst part is getting the barrel turned exactly right. Lee
Old 08-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Why not just buy one of the single shot pistols available?? I have one of the Traditions ones which is not all that great for quality but it is a pretty fair shooter. I have had to rework the sights as they are pretty poor. I bought a boot gun kit which also is pretty nice and easy to finish but not sure they are still available.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
I'm not sure this is possible, sounds like more work than what I am proposing. The barrel is pretty integral in the revolver frame.

I know it's 50cal and 12" barrel, which is why I'm looking at this idea. The only thing I have yet to look up is the minimum bullet diameter in a pistol. I have not decided to go 50 or 54, though this will partly depend on whether or not I'd be using sabots. I'm leaning toward making this somewhat exotic, in other words a bit of a hand cannon.

At least .44 calibur

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.