Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Home Made Touch Hole Liners

Old 08-18-2009, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Home Made Touch Hole Liners

Several years ago I saw an advertisment for touch hole liners that were nothing more than an allen set screw with a hole through it. I thought about it and realized they would not be difficult to make at home.

I used a 1/4X1/4 X 28 allen set screw. I made myself a jig to hold the screws and from the bottom of the screws drilled a 1/16 inch hole through to the wrench recess. Next I used an 82 degree countersink and brought the point all the way to the bottom of the hole, taking care not to enlarge the hole where the allen wrench bottoms out.

This seems to speed up the ignition process a great deal. My theory is that by countersinking the hole it gets the powder in the barrel a little closer to the flash in the pan. I also believe that the wrench recess actually funnels the flash to the hole.
The cost of each of these is about 50 cents and a few minutes of my time.

Has anyone else tried this?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I make liners, I just buy a stainless steel threaded rod...
I countersink the end that will be on the inside and screw into the barrel...I then cut, leaving about 2-3 threads so I don't scratch the barrel and file flush with the barrel...I then drill the touchhole with the bottom of the hole just above the top of the pan, so the hole is covered by the frizzen when shut...

By countersinking the inside, the powder in the barrel is about a 1/16th of an inch away from the outer wall of the barrel...The touchhole can also be drilled off center if needed...Many production guns have the touchhole too low and it gets plugged with powder...
Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, you are using the same principle. The thing that I like about the allen set screw is that it is easy to remove. I use a little anti-seize compound on the threads. This is a life saver if you ever dry ball the rifle. Just open her up, drop a few grains of powder in and replace the liner and pop go's the ball.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Please explain this "dry ball"...

I don't believe I've ever heard of that...
Old 08-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Please explain this "dry ball"...

I don't believe I've ever heard of that...
Well, a Highball is the name for a family of mixed drinks that are composed of an alcoholic base spirit and a larger proportion of a non-alcoholic mixer. So a Dryball must be a mixed drink that uses a much larger proportion of alcohol. I assume every shooter would welcome a dryball now and then - but I could be wrong.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:00 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

Smile

Originally Posted by Semisane
Well, a Highball is the name for a family of mixed drinks that are composed of an alcoholic base spirit and a larger proportion of a non-alcoholic mixer. So a Dryball must be a mixed drink that uses a much larger proportion of alcohol. I assume every shooter would welcome a dryball now and then - but I could be wrong.
i think you are right...karl
Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Well that is an intersting idea there Semisane. The nice part is you can custom make the size of the opening.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:28 AM
Fork Horn

Dry balling is a term that some of us use when a rifle is loaded with a ball but without powder.

Too many highballs before shooting can probably cause a person to load a rifle this way.