Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Camo Knight Vision

Old 08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Spike

Default New Camo Knight Vision

I have been lurking for a good while now, great site. I finally broke down and registered. I live in Kansas since moving here from Alaska in 2001. Totally different type of hunting and such. I have been playing with an old CVA 54cal Hawkins that mainly I just shot round balls out of to play around with, plus a CVA Navy 44 pistol I also just play with.

I have no idea how it happened but I was just surfing and surfed into SG and ended up buying a Knight Camo Vision w/scope. So today went over to Walmart 30 miles away (only black powder source for 50miles) and bought some 240gr Power belts, Shockwaves, and XTP's. Some t7 ffg loose powder (only thing they had) and t7 209 primers.

I basically have not had an interest in deer hunting since returning to the lower 48, maining been bird and varmint hunting and such but I plan on deer hunting this year with the new vision. I plan on mainly keeping it under 100yds as where my house and land are I am bordered on 3 sides by wooded federal land so most of the shots I would make are in this range already. I already hand load my 45 as well as my 223, 25-06, 300winmag, and 444 rifles.

Do you actually need the little red plastic primer caps for the weapon to function properly? I am ordering BH209 and t7fffg and if needed the red plastic primer caps. Has anyone here ever moly tumbled the power belts or moly heat seasoned their ML barrel and seen a difference?

Thanks a lot in advance

Dave
Old 08-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

I believe you do, but I also beleive that you can buy a breech plug that doesn't require the plastic primer carrier. Someone else will have to chime in.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:13 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

both visions i've bought at SG came with a non FPJ breechplug,just put in a bare 209.your going to enjoy your vision.try110-120g volume t7 or bh209 and just about any .452 bullet in either harvester short black or MMP hph24 sabot.have fun....karl
Old 08-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would purchase the other Breech plug if you dont already have it. Great choice in a Muzzleloader. Your XTP'S will do the job as well. Congratulations on a fine purchase.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Spike

Default Thank You

I was hoping this was the case that it could be used without the red caps.

Of course I did go ahead and order some as well as different powders, bullets, sabots, and $400 worth of other stuff i am sure I did not need.......but you know what they say.....good times cost money, bad ones come free.

Once it gets here I am going to tear it down and heat it up to moly treat the barrel.......maybe be a little easier to clean and more shots without swabbing.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Spike

UPS jut called and said delivery tomorrow. I will say SG has fast shipping as I ordered this Sunday night.

Not very informative but Truth be told told I just needed to drive up my post count a little.

I already know my teens will be squealing once I get it and set it all up and start shooting. I did offer them the chance to get a ML each but after seeing how long it takes to clean my Hawkins they declined......their loss, more for me. I know bad dad....