Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Problem with Encore

Old 08-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Spike

Question Problem with Encore

So I recently became the owner of a new stainless tc encore and a nikon buckmasters scope. I bore sighted it and headed to the range. I am shooting 100 grain pellets of 777 with 200gr. shockwaves and 777 primers. I shot first at 50 yds. and after a few shots after running a patch after each shot got it dialed in where I wanted it. Then I attempted 100 yds. This is where the problem lies. I couldn't make it hit a 24" square board for the life of me. Went back to 50 and I'm hitting the same hole again. Took a look at a few sabots and they all were all burnt through. I didn't know what was causing it so I decided to come home to do some research to see if there have been similar happenings. Turns out I came across this on many occasions and it may be the cause for lack of accuracy. Any help would be well appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot that bullet/sabot combination a ton, it is NOT normal to be blowing sabots at that charge.

How hot was it? How long were you allowing the gun to cool between shots?

When you say burned through, was there actually a hole in the base of the sabot or what?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Spike

I'd say it was 85 out. Pretty hot. I was reloading after each cleaning so maybe a minute or so. You think thats the only problem? All i gotta do is let it cool down?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is an unusual problem. Please give a description of just exactly what you mean by burned. I have seen a few that had the back end melted a little but I have never seen one burned. If you mean burned black is it just discoloration ? Is the burning on the cup that sits against the powder or up the side? Lee
Old 08-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Spike

When i meant burned I meant melted. Every sabot was melted completely through the cup and some actually became deformed.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Spike

I may try power belts next weekend to see if I can get any better luck out of them. Maybe its the sabot blowing through thats making my accuracy disappear. I hope I can figure this out. Any other tips, tricks I can try?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

It sounds like your rifle might benefit from using the MMP ballistic bridge sub-base listed near the bottom of the page on the left:

http://www.mmpsabots.com/index.html

MMP
BBSB
(Ballistic Bridge Sub-Base)
50 Caliber Rifle
50 pcs $8.25
I also think that your bullets may be too short & light and that affects their long range accuracy.
Plus if the powder charge is too heavy for the sabot & light weight bullet, that may also result in some erratic powder burning characteristics and bullet flight.
Loading with another powder, less powder and/or bullet weight might resolve it.

Last edited by arcticap; 08-16-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like it could be a bad lot of sabots.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is your hinge pin tight?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HoytShooter95
I'd say it was 85 out. Pretty hot. I was reloading after each cleaning so maybe a minute or so. You think thats the only problem? All i gotta do is let it cool down?

Bingo. Problem solved. It was darn hot out and you probably could not have held your hand on that barrel late in the session. Hard enough on accuracy in centerfires, a real killer in MLs. I've shot more of those bullets than about anyone, and that is the only thing I've ever seen cause that particular symptom.

Let the gun cool at least 5min between shots when it is that hot. I know it is boring and slow, but there is no substitute for patience when it is hot. Years ago before I figured this out I wasted a lot of money on powder and bullets frustrated that my guns would not group, only to see the same loads shoot fine in the fall when it was 40-50 degrees out.

Just take another gun with you and alternate. Sometimes I'll rotate up to 3 guns so I am always loading or shooting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.