Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which BARNES bullet is best for me?

Old 08-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Barnes is your choice, stick with the MZ Expander.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
If Barnes is your choice, stick with the MZ Expander.
Any particular reason why? Just curious since a lot of others like some of the other Barnes bullets.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Any particular reason why? Just curious since a lot of others like some of the other Barnes bullets.
I actually prefer the 290 gr TMZ in my 50 cal. Never had a deer go very far after getting smacked with one.But I must admit I've taken more deer with the Shockwaves than any other bullet including Barnes.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Spike

here is a 300 gr mz expander that I shot a bear with this year in quebec I had 2 triple 7 magnum pellets and it ws 170 yds away the bear droped in place
Attached Thumbnails Which BARNES bullet is best for me?-hpim0757.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you need a 290grn bullet to drop a Deer or a pig the bullet isnt doing something right. That has been pretty much my findings with most Barnes bullets. The 250grn MZ Expander and The 275grn XPB have worked with out a doubt. I have seen several kills with those bullets and the results are what you would expect.

These are not my opinions, just facts of what has been seen by me in the field. My opinion would be not to use Barnes at all to tell you the truth. XTP'S and Ballistic Extremes are a much better bullet for Deer and Hogs. The Barnes Originals would be a good choice on Moose or Elk along with the Ballistic Extreme.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Just went with the 250g Barnes T-EZ........I'll post some pics of on how the "sight in" goes.....thanks for replys
Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IOWAWHITETAILS
Just went with the 250g Barnes T-EZ........I'll post some pics of on how the "sight in" goes.....thanks for replys
Great choice! You'll love that bullet!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you need a 290grn bullet to drop a Deer or a pig the bullet isnt doing something right. That has been pretty much my findings with most Barnes bullets. The 250grn MZ Expander and The 275grn XPB have worked with out a doubt. I have seen several kills with those bullets and the results are what you would expect.

These are not my opinions, just facts of what has been seen by me in the field. My opinion would be not to use Barnes at all to tell you the truth. XTP'S and Ballistic Extremes are a much better bullet for Deer and Hogs. The Barnes Originals would be a good choice on Moose or Elk along with the Ballistic Extreme.
Who said they needed a 290g Barnes to kill a deer or hog?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:39 PM
mountaineer magic

If you need a 290grn bullet to drop a Deer or a pig the bullet isnt doing something right. That has been pretty much my findings with most Barnes bullets.
I don't need a 290 gr bullet to kill a deer , but it just happens that the 290gr tmz is the most accurate bullet in several of my guns. I don't need a 460 gr NO Excuses conical to kill a deer but it shoots the best in my 1:24 twist gun. I don't need a 425 gr conical to kill a deer but it shoots the best in my 54 cal. Lyman Great Plains gun. I shoot some of the bullets due to performance and accuracy not because of how heavy they are . If a heavy grain bullet shoots the best then I use use it ,not because I think it takes a heavy bullet to knock a deer down.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

chetmarks,
I understand what you are saying and agree. I just never use the most accurate bullet in my Muzzleloaders. That's strange on my part no doubt.