Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BlackMag XP

Old 08-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default BlackMag XP

Based on my research, it appears that the only way to get this powder is to order it online and pay the $20 HazMat fee plus shipping charges. Am I missing something???

I e-mailed them to find a dealer around the St Paul/Minneapolis and all I got was an automated e-mail response telling me that I can now order BlackMag XP for about $58 (plus shipping) for a 10 oz container.

Has anyone seen this stuff in any stores yet??? Thanks kl
Old 08-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

I don't mean to rain on anyone's choice of BlackMag.

But IMHO the very best Ascorbic Acid based powder for the money is still Goex Pinnacle 3Fg (Made by Pioneer Powder).

For 22-24 bucks you can get a whole pound of powder. You should put a 2x2 inch Silica Gel(dessicant) pack in the can to keep it bone dry (this goes for all BP subs).

Pinnacle is very forgiving, so use as much as you need, to get the speed you desire, without going over the 150gV limit.

I have three main powders I use now:

1. BH209
2. A special Un-named brand

and
3. Pinnacle 3Fg

I also think BlackMag is putting themselves out of business FAST with those prices

Old 08-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I bought 2 bottles from them. It took 3 weeks to arrive. The old stuff had a bad clumping problem. This was pretty decent with only a few small clumps which broke apart easily. I love the stuff and my mk85 sures seems to agree with it. easily cleaned and I can go about 5 shots before swabbing a clean patch in it.My brother who shoots a master hunter can take or leave it. My gun would only have a small amount of white powder buildup in the last inch of the barrel.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

But IMHO the very best Ascorbic Acid based powder for the money is still Goex Pinnacle 3Fg (Made by Pioneer Powder).

Black Mag has been shooting themselves in the foot for years. i'm surprised that they are still around.

Been using Goex Pinnacle 2F and 3F for a couple of years. It is a very good and consistent powder. Word is that Hodgdon has dropped Pinnacle from the Goex line. Maybe American Pioneer Powder will re-brand and sell Pinnacle.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon

Black Mag has been shooting themselves in the foot for years. i'm surprised that they are still around.
i believe there was need or high demand for the black mag powder in there black powder cartridge line. i guess selling just the powder took a back seat. i still have one can left over never opened.its a couple years old. i might have to see how its holding up.good stuff though.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lane, is that un-named powder found on the Trail?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Underclocked
Lane, is that un-named powder found on the Trail?

Yup

That's where I found it.