Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Toby shooting a Triumph???

Old 08-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Spike

Anyone read his product report on the .458 FTX with the Triumph
http://namlhunt.homestead.com/ProductReport.html

He has an interesting comment on the sabots to use
Hornady's new 325-grain .458" FTX bullet shot well with the orange .50x.458" MMP sabot, but excelled with the black .50x.451 Crush Rib Sabot from Harvester Muzzleloadingse
Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
As for Toby getting the better ML... That's definitely a matter of opinion.
Hardly.......but okay.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by benamen
Anyone read his product report on the .458 FTX with the Triumph
http://namlhunt.homestead.com/ProductReport.html

He has an interesting comment on the sabots to use
Hornady's new 325-grain .458" FTX bullet shot well with the orange .50x.458" MMP sabot, but excelled with the black .50x.451 Crush Rib Sabot from Harvester Muzzleloadingse
FTX bullets are probably the most accurate i ever shot out of a Muzzleloader. They are probably the worst i ever used on game right next to barnes. I believe Semisane found out that they needed to be shot at like 2600fps to perform properly. Realistically you are needing a smokeless ML to achieve that.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

The only name that still gets my a$$ up around my shoulders is Jim Zumbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: devil:
Old 08-15-2009, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

My experience with Toby has been very positive. It is my opinion that Toby is all about advancing the sport of muzzleloading (Modern and Traditional) and supporting companies with the same mind set. When Knight folded, T/C stepped up to the plate. I don't know if T/C approached him or he approached T/C...in my mind it doesn't matter.

IMHO, Toby's online articles, blog, and web site is a net positive for muzzleloading. It doesn't matter to me if he is shooting a Knight or a T/C, his overall mind set hasn't changed.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well considering that I have both rifles I think I will put my oar in the water here.
The Triumph came out of the box with an excellent trigger and all I have done to it is put a rubber and steel washer between the forearm and the barrel lugs and it has shot a quite a few groups around a 1/2 inch at a 100 yds and one 1/4 inch 3 shot group at 100yds now that's as good as it has ever got for me. It is light and it does kick some.
The Endeavor cost me 3 times as much and I had to polish the trigger and sear surfaces and change a couple springs and do some sanding and grinding on the fore arm. The normal group is about 1.25 inches but the brass Lehigh bullets will shoot under an inch, one of the differences is it will shoot almost any bullet around the 1.25 area. there are a few other things I can say for it the kick is much reduced so it is more fun to shoot some of the heavy loads I like, and then there is the barrels, I have been looking at two center fire barrels and a 45 muzzle loading barrel.
So my conclusion is they both have certain advantages, maybe like me you need one of each. Lee
Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well considering that I have both rifles I think I will put my oar in the water here.
The Triumph came out of the box with an excellent trigger and all I have done to it is put a rubber and steel washer between the forearm and the barrel lugs and it has shot a quite a few groups around a 1/2 inch at a 100 yds and one 1/4 inch 3 shot group at 100yds now that's as good as it has ever got for me. It is light and it does kick some.
The Endeavor cost me 3 times as much and I had to polish the trigger and sear surfaces and change a couple springs and do some sanding and grinding on the fore arm. The normal group is about 1.25 inches but the brass Lehigh bullets will shoot under an inch, one of the differences is it will shoot almost any bullet around the 1.25 area. there are a few other things I can say for it the kick is much reduced so it is more fun to shoot some of the heavy loads I like, and then there is the barrels, I have been looking at two center fire barrels and a 45 muzzle loading barrel.
So my conclusion is they both have certain advantages, maybe like me you need one of each. Lee

This is what I love about these guns, all the BS and hoops you have to jump throught ot get them to shoot. This is pathetic. Just the idea of paying all that money and still have to invest more time and money to get it to shoot.

This is why I got rid of my Encore. I just got tired of all the abuse!

:confuse d0024:
Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
This is what I love about these guns, all the BS and hoops you have to jump throught ot get them to shoot. This is pathetic. Just the idea of paying all that money and still have to invest more time and money to get it to shoot.

This is why I got rid of my Encore. I just got tired of all the abuse!

:confuse d0024:
Mine shot fine when it was stock but I couldn't leave well enough alone. I just love tweaking things. But I didn't mind the 10 minutes and $15 I spent to make the little improvements I did. Made a great gun a little better IMO.