Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Checking out the Thor

Old 07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Checking out the Thor

I got my sample bullets and have begun to look the over, the body on all are .4994 to .4997 the 3 ten thousands is out of round, which will make little difference if they upset much at all.
the hollow base or skirt is flared and that's how they vary the sizes, which run close to what they are supposed to, mine were .500,.501,.5023 and .5035. which if held gives a good fit range since copper is stiffer than lead one size would not fit all.
I tried them in the Endeavor Encore for fit, the .500 was to loose the .501 was shoot able as was the .502 though the .502 was tight loading even with the heavy duty range rod. I got the .503 through but I would never try to shoot it it was mutilated by the time it came out the breach end of the barrel.
I cut one in half to look over the construction.
Now we get into some opinions the lines where the bullet is supposed to peel back like a Barnes, there were only 4 this in my opinion is not enough, I believe the Barnes has several more this makes the size of the piece that has to peel back much bigger there for much stronger, we will eventually see what it takes to open them up; they are only about 20 thousands deep this is very shallow under the circumstances.
Lets hear what you all think about it. Lee
Attached Thumbnails Checking out the Thor-picture.jpg  

Last edited by lemoyne; 07-30-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm pretty sure the Barnes has 4 lines also. When they open up there is 4 petals which tells me that 4 lines is what it has.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

I did contact Barnes... the Thor is made by them under a contract with the second party.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mike that is a very syout bullet for normal conical loads. I will be very interested in how it works out. Have you done any shooting with the 185 yet? Lee
Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Banned

OPG Gun Ventures is planning on bringing out another version that will be
lower priced, hopefully by early 2010.

I have around 80 of the 247gr Colorado Thors coming my way. Im going to see how these do in our 4 rifles and if they do well, we'll be using them this season and really see how they do on game!! Thor says a 2x diameter hole will be left in game.

For the money, they priced right with the powerbelt/platinum but are made of copper which is even better. Should be interesting
Old 07-31-2009, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

I have not done much with the 185's, and I really should shoot some from a 50. I guess I have ignored them because I am dead set on shooting the 200's from the 45 Extreme.

Now here is my thinking... if I can get them to shoot really well from a 1/30 45 cal Extreme (and they do) - I should be able to get them to shoot from a 1/28 50 - just have not had time to visit that senario yet.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mountain Devil
I believe that they will work but I also believe that they will be the opposite of PB's in one way, From the construction I am thinking 1700 or 1800 to insure full expansion the 110 gr load Mike and I like so well should do nicely.
Mike
i started out with groups below an inch with the 200's my new Endeavor just loves them. I seem to be getting 2 inch groups with the 185's but I have only started with them, I don't expect to guess every thing right on the first try a couple more times out and i will get them in hand. I really like the 200's I could pop golf ball all day long at 100 with them, I think its just about time to sight in with them for the next boar hunt. I would not mind using those Thor on one to but I don't have enough of them to sight a gun in for them. Lee
Old 07-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

I really like the 200's I could pop golf ball all day long at 100 with them, I think its just about time to sight in with them for the next boar hunt.
See, with 110 grains they (200 grain Lehighs) work very well for me... I ain't good enough to shoot golf balls @ 100 but clay pigeons - all day everyday.

Guess that is why I can not get interested in the 185...

Also, again I am not to interested in the Thor offering, as our rules require an all lead conical for ML hunting - so even if the the Thor or even the FPB would work I can not use them.