Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Z5 Stock

Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Spike

Default Omega Z5 Stock

About a year ago I bought this Omega Z5 on a whim and have yet to shoot it. Primary reason is the stock is a bit too long for me, short arms. Is it possible to cut about 3/4 inch off the stock and have the recoil pad still fit it properly? Has anyone shortened the stock on an Omega and if you did could you just use a coping saw to do the job? I did remove the recoil pad just for the heck of it and shouldered it and it was much more comfortable to me. This is something I have been thinking about doing for awhile and was wondering if anyone else had done it. Thanks.

Jim
Old 07-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jim22

It can/could be done, but it will not be an easy task. If you take the current pad off you will see the stock is hollow.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Spike

Sabotloader,

Yep, when I took the recoil pad off I noticed that it was hollow and that's one of the concerns I had - take off 3/4" of stock would the pad still fit snug in the stock. The screw pillars or whatever they call them are sort of recessed about an inch or so down into the stock well and could always dremel them out a little more if the pad bumped them. I'm not sure if I will try it or not. Hate to ruin the stock and have to buy another one. I'm going to have to think on this a little. Would be nice to have a little shorter stock though. Thanks.

Jim
Old 07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could get creative and cut it off. Make a insert out of wood or something to fit inside the hollow section (glue it in?), then buy a slip-on Limbsaver recoil pad. Just a thought??
Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Spike

yep, thought about that sjsfire. That would probably work but I'm not sure I would want to glue or epoxy the plug in. I'm still thinking on it though. I sort of procrastinate on stuff and then forget what I was thinking on doing. Thanks

Jim