Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Questions - Knight Power Stem....

Old 07-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Questions - Knight Power Stem....

Been a little chatter on another forum about Knight BP's and it has sparked an interest...

The Power Stem... Has anyone shot this BP?

I am really wondering about 'blow-back'...

Here is what i might be talking about... One of the reasons that the new BP works so well in the Vision is that it has a 11/64ths flash channel a little bigger than the normal 1/8 or 8/64th. It appears that this larger and slighly longer flash channel swallows up the blow back more effectively than the small cavity - this extra bit gives the bullet a chance to get out of the barrel which then completely reduces blow back to zero.

Just a few minutes ago - I was looking for the correct bit size to ream the flash channel in a FPJ BP. I have a Power Stem BP laying here on the counter - when I dropped the bit in the flash channel it swallowed most of the length of the bit. It would make a lot bigger blowback chamber - so it might result in a lot less blowback...

I know the Power Stem works well with T7 even increases velocity significantly. I think Toby declared it a non-worker for BH, but it really has peaked my couriosity.

So again anybody with experiance outthere with the Power Stem?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Gotta say there Sabotloader, I have never heard of this before.

I do own a Knight Vision and am very found of it. It will be my primary ML this season.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

rafsob

Gotta say, you are not the only one - I have posted this same question on 3/4 boards but no real replies yet. Guess it is just not used that much...

Here is a little information..

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0067239215489a.shtml#customer-product-reviews

I guess I am really thinking this might stop a lot of blow-back in the DISC series gun. It does not help you any with a Vision but your flash channel has already been opened up more to handle some of the blow-back.

Power Stem Breech Plug

• Fits .45, .50 and .52 Caliber DISC Rifles
  • PowerStem accuracy enhancement increases velocity/energy, reduces felt recoil and results in more efficient powder burn.
  • Use loose powder only - DO NOT use with pellets!
  • Uses Full Plastic Jacket
  • Hex Head

Last edited by sabotloader; 07-19-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader

You may have read this article by TB. It peaked my interest. Just bought a power stem today at Cabela's for $14. I'm going to give it a try this weekend with T7.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical3.html

Have you tried it yet?? kl

Last edited by klundin2000; 08-20-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

klundin2000

Be sure and let me know what you find... I would really appeciate it...
Old 08-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader

Yes I have used that plug with my 45cal SS Disc Elites.

I can't remember a great deal of difference in blow-back. But I was using large volumes of powder:

120g-150g of 2Fg Trip7 and 3Fg Pinnacle. Igniting the charge in the exact "Middle" was supposed to get the powder burning in both directions+ backwards and forwards, this caused a cleaner, more efficient burn of the powder. And I always got about 80-100fps more than the standard plug.

I also noted that it didn't take long for the Stem plug to erode the flash port, and start to open up a bit.

However, although the Green Mountain stainless steel barrels are very strong, shooting multiple "Heavy Stem Loads" Of Trip7 actually MELTED a shallow "Halo" inside the bore, exactly at the stem ignition point. You could see it with your naked eye and feel it with a tight patch and ramrod.

Now, I never heard any reports like this with the 50cal guns. probably cause there is less pressure build up in them compared to 45cal guns.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabot loader there has been some info on here about it, when it first came out, it was designed for T7 suppose to be able to burn more powder with out blowing any out of the barrel. When BH209 came out somebody posted a warning that it would not work with BH. As I remember a few people really liked it but they did not seem to catch on over all. Lee
Old 08-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

The late Elmer Keith designed a stem that went forward from the primer pocket in rifle cartridges, to ignite the charge near the front. His thought was that it would be more efficient and allow more energy from a given charge of powder. I know he did this with the 35 Whelen cartridge. I believe his experiments were during or just Before WWII He was working in one of the army armeries. and brought it up to the engineers to improve howitzer rounds. he was laughed at. Shortly there after an engeneer in that Armory had this great idea of extending the flash hole forward via a tube to better ignite the charge in Howitzer rounds and also for the big navel guns. Elmer was screwed out of his Idea, and invention.

The power stem isn't a new Idea, I believe it is a very good Idea, and it does work.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Only had an hour to shoot today but I tried the power stem breech plug today with loose T7 fffg powder. On the range it seemed to work great. Only shot three 3-shot groups with it, but two of the three groups measured just under an inch.

Knight Long Range Hunter

250 Barnes MZ, 89.1grains (weighed) of 777 fffg, T7 primer.....0.963" c-t-c

300 Barnes MZ, 89.1 grains (weighed) of 777 fffg, T7 primer....0.993" c-t-c

300 PT Gold, 89.1 grains (weighed) of 777 fffg, T7 primer....2.7" c-t-c

Guess my LRH likes those Barnes bullets with the Harvester EZ sabots.

I didn't have my chony with me but the velocity seemed higher than with 78.1 grains of Blackhorn. Both of these weights are suppose to equal 110 volume measured.

I had an absolutely terrible time getting my power stem out of the ML for cleaning. It froze up tight tight tight. kl
Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

klundin2000

Thanks a ton for the information...

Had you greased or used to teflon to install the BP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.