Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Questions - Knight Power Stem....

Old 08-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Sabotloader

I would say I lightly greased the threads before I left for the range. I have used Blackhorn 209 for the last year and grease seem to be...well...a waste of grease. The only reason I would stray from Blackhorn 209 on occasion is ignition in very cold weather. Last year I was ML hunting in the UP of Michigan and I had about a 1/2 second of hangtime. Granted...I loaded my Knight up two days earlier, it still scared me a little. Thats when I started looking at other breech plugs and powder combinations. I'm interested in a breech plug designed by Dave that is on this site.

I do not like using that Knight plastic primer holder. I'm get blow back. For the last couple weeks I have been using the non plastic breech plug with great results...but I'm unsure on how the smaller flash hole will effect powder ignition in cold weather. When I experienced the slight hang time I was using the CCI M primer. kl
Old 08-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

klundin2000

Last year I was ML hunting in the UP of Michigan and I had about a 1/2 second of hangtime. Granted...I loaded my Knight up two days earlier, it still scared me a little.
I leave mine loaded all the time and have never had a problem, but I am shooting T7 - Bh should be less effected.

I am hoping that the new BPlug is out soon - tom and I suppose to get the first couple for testing, but I am still not sure that I will use it since I do not shoot a lot of BH - I prefer the FPJ for handling and weather proofing - there is blowback but hunting with it is no big deal - just at the range when you are shooting shot after shot.

I do not like using that Knight plastic primer holder. I'm get blow back. For the last couple weeks I have been using the non plastic breech plug with great results...but I'm unsure on how the smaller flash hole will effect powder ignition in cold weather. When I experienced the slight hang time I was using the CCI M primer.
You can open that flash hole to .032 so you can shoot BH reliably, but that will or can/may also make your primers go pregnant in the nipple that might make them difficult to get out. Bigger hole more blowback pressure.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by klundin2000
Hi Sabotloader

I would say I lightly greased the threads before I left for the range. I have used Blackhorn 209 for the last year and grease seem to be...well...a waste of grease. The only reason I would stray from Blackhorn 209 on occasion is ignition in very cold weather. Last year I was ML hunting in the UP of Michigan and I had about a 1/2 second of hangtime. Granted...I loaded my Knight up two days earlier, it still scared me a little. Thats when I started looking at other breech plugs and powder combinations. I'm interested in a breech plug designed by Dave that is on this site.

I do not like using that Knight plastic primer holder. I'm get blow back. For the last couple weeks I have been using the non plastic breech plug with great results...but I'm unsure on how the smaller flash hole will effect powder ignition in cold weather. When I experienced the slight hang time I was using the CCI M primer. kl
Well I just took a spare NFPJ plug and drilled out the flash hole to .038 And will take it out tomorrow for testing in the 45cal Disc Elite

It worked well enough the way it was, but I wanna see what will happen with BH209, and three different primers. Namely Winchester, Rem STS, and CCI standard primers. Checking for blow back changes, and any "pregnant" primers. Got some 120gV loads measured out in tubes ready to go!!!

Before modification, the Winchester's ejected the best, with almost no signs of pressure or bulging. And were the tightest fit with closed bolt.

Last edited by LaneNebraska; 08-23-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lane

Well I just took a spare NFPJ plug and drilled out the flash hole to .038 And will take it out tomorrow for testing in the 45cal Disc Elite
Wow! that could be interesting especially with the loads you normally shoot.

I would think that the Rem STS's might expand and contract more than any of the aluminum battery cups. So they might be easier to get out after shooting.

Last edited by sabotloader; 08-23-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Lane

Wow! that could be interesting especially with the loads you normally shoot.

I would think that the Rem STS's might expand and contract more than any of the aluminum battery cups. So they might be easier to get out after shooting.

Brief summary= Don't drill out/enlarge the NFPJ to .038 and use heavy loads listed below

Well the STS's blew their tops, and would not eject. had to disassemble the bolt to get them out.(They worked fine before, but ejected very sticky/hard)

The CCI standard primers held together, but would not eject without bolt dis-assembly. They got too FAT

The Winchesters looked great, but would not eject with-out really shaking/rattling the bolt. They also got a little fatter. (much worse than before plug modification)

Chrony stats: Cloudy/78 degrees

120gV=86.4gW BH209. pushing 200g ShockWaves, in MMP Cream/Tan Sabots. Chrony at 10feet from muzzle.

Winchester= 2393fps
(With Harvester smooth
Blue Sabot=2389fps)
(with
Green supplied sabots=2380fps)

STS= 2390fps

CCI= 2380fps

Also launched some 175g XTP type bullets in the MMP Cream/Tan sabots with the same 120gV/86.4gW charge BH209, Winchester primers=2460fps

All charges ignited instantaneously.

Last edited by LaneNebraska; 08-27-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just be patient fellows.