Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet tumble

Old 07-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
That must just be with the shotgun slugs because I have experienced nothing but devastating performance from Barnes' ML bullets. And so has everyone else I have seen post about them. Maybe the shotshells don't possess enough powder to drive them fast enough or maybe it's a different design. But the ML versions of their bullets are top-shelf for sure.
Yeah, I know, but somehow personal experience always weighs heavier...a couple of us in my hunting group had bad experiences and with so many good bullets to choose from I just don't have a reason to have doubt in my head when I'm pulling the trigger.

Fred,

That sounds like a pretty good test to me.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
I have gotten the FTX to shoot a 1.20 inch group at 2350 FPS which is good enough for hunting but the bullet is designed for 2500 FPS; I am not sure how much leeway is allowed for the bullet slowing down. Does any one know how much Hornady allows for slowing below design velocity for the bullet to open properly?
I saw them advertising 150 yards for 44Mag loads with these bullets....down to about 1050 fps. I would hope they wouldn't advertise them that low if they weren't supposed to work there. If I get time, I'll pop a .458 325gr through some milk jugs at 300 yards.