Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

SEMI's lost homework

Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default SEMI's lost homework

HEY !!!SEMI !!! I thought you was goin to the camp to shoot this weekend past.
did the dog eat your homework or did it just get too hot? wht's the story Professor Sane?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: SEMI's lost homework

Arrived at the camp around 3 p.m. Friday WOODTICK. It was a cool 97 degrees with 72% humidity. I shot the X7 on Friday, and the Mustang and Renegade on Saturday. Frankly, it was miserable. I began to ask myself "why are you doing this if you're not having fun?".Sweat in the eyes, underwear soaking wet, etc. Returned home Sunday morning without even shooting Sunday.

The barrels wouldheat up with the first couple ofshots and just would not seem to cool down (if you consider returning to ambient temperature of 97 'cooling down'.) By the fourth shot in a stringsabots that weretight in the air conditioned house, and 'fairlytight'for the first shot or two at the range, began to slide down the bore with the weight of the range rod. Groups with the X7 were so bad I thought my scope had gone south, and swapped it out with the scope on my Renegade. Nothing changed with the swap-out. Three-inch 50 yard groups and six-inch 100 yard groups.

The only joy I had was with the Renegade Saturday afternoon. It seems that patched balls don't care how hot the barrel gets. I shot a 5-shot group with 85 grains of GOEX FFFgand got what I expected - all in one big hole at 50 yards. Then a 5-shot group with 85 grains of Pyrodex P, which didn't do as well ( 2& 1/2" group ) and clearly had less "oomph" than the same load of GOEX. Then a 5-shot group with 85 grains of T7 FFG with the barrel so hot I could hardly hold it. This was the first time I shot T7 in this barrel and was rewarded with a decent one and a quarter inch group.

I think my range sessions are about over until September. If I could walk out the door and shoot a few shots and have short range sessionsit would be one thing. But driving 83 miles for a couple of day long shoots is just not worth it in July and August in South Louisiana.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Here in Wisconsin we finally got some cool weather. I think our day time high today was 62 degrees. In fact last night I had the windows open and the fans on, and about froze to death before morning. Good thing I had a bunch of blankets around to cover up with..

That kind of heat an humidity would be ruff to handle. When it gets hot here, we suffer just as bad Semisane... although my buddies tell me I don't have enough sense to stay inside where it is cool.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

i know what you mean we also had a heat-wave 62 degrees up here ,sure hope we get some cooler weather soon ..
Old 06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I give you an E. Thanks for the report. I hate the heat. Topped out at 72 here today but we get really hot too sometimes.
Art
Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Semi
relief might be on the way for a short time.The forecasted low for Monroe and vicinity for monday night is 65 degrees.Thats 10 to 12
degrees cooler than we,ve been at night for over a month. It's only 88 outside ,right now.It's been that hot at 6:45 lately. maybe you can sneak in
a day soon. you will still have to think early. before say 10 am.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

It was decent here today for a change been around 105 every day for a while. Went shooting this morning and it was only 73 when I headed home. Lee
Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: flounder33

I give you an E. Thanks for the report. I hate the heat. Topped out at 72 here today but we get really hot too sometimes.
Art
Art...I really hate the heat, also. I like the ability to regulate my body temp by adding or removing clothing in light layers. You can't do that when you're maxed out at 97 degrees.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Today it isn't going to make it out of the 60's. I wish I had time to do my homework.
Art