Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Hornady 250grn FTX does the job.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Hornady 250grn FTX does the job.

It's no secret that this is probably the most accurate ML bullet i ever shot. I think i learned something from lemoyne today. This bullet might also need some speed to expand on game. So i was playing around with 65grns of N120 in a smokeless muzzleloader. That would get this bullet probably 2400 to 2500fps. I will chrono that load some day but no hurry.

MR. Groundhog walked out at 181yds today. I just couldn't resist. No steps or tracking was needed.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: The Hornady 250grn FTX does the job.

he don't look all that blow up... nice shot.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The truth is i gut shot him. The bullet was shooting three inches to the left.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Could you tell if it opened up anyon the ground hog. By the way thats a pretty good off hand shot. Lee
Old 06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne
By the way thats a pretty good off hand shot. Lee
I shot it right off the bench. Not off hand. The bullet opened up for sure. The whole underneath was blown wide open. That's why i rolled it over. It just didn't poke a hole trust me. It really expanded the way it should the best i could tell. Again it was shot low and left. The hog was walking from left to right.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bullet would only have been going 1600fps or so on impact...if it opened on a groundhog, still room to slow down and perform on a deer I think.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spaniel

Bullet would only have been going 1600fps or so on impact...if it opened on a groundhog, still room to slow down and perform on a deer I think.
My problem is i had such bad luck with this bullet on 4 Deer last year. After listening to Lee i would like to give this bullet another chance. I only shot the Deer with 110grns of BH209. That bullet probably wasnt even going 2000fps at the muzzle. If i increase the BH209 since the core of the bullet is harder the bullet should mushroom/expand and kill the Deer alot better or more efficiently???????
Old 06-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

My problem is i had such bad luck with this bullet on 4 Deer last year. After listening to Lee i would like to give this bullet another chance. I only shot the Deer with 110grns of BH209. That bullet probably wasnt even going 2000fps at the muzzle. If i increase the BH209 since the core of the bullet is harder the bullet should mushroom/expand and kill the Deer alot better or more efficiently???????
More velocity will always help expansion it never hurts. I have no opinion on game performance of the FTX until this fall, need to cull some does again so I should get enough experience to make up my own mind.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should get enough experience to make up my own mind.
That's always best.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

spaniel

If i increase the BH209 since the core of the bullet is harder the bullet should mushroom/expand and kill the Deer alot better or more efficiently???????
This is for both of you... and you both know I do not shoot pointy bullets.... but, the knock I have read and seen is that the SST's/SW's pencil at the closer ranges and do not really expand as well - as they are going so fast they pass with out much expansion and yet at the longer ranges when they loose velocity they are excellent and expand as you would want them to???

And yes the animal is dead even at the close range - but sometimes does not know it for awhile...

Quick Reply: The Hornady 250grn FTX does the job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.