Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Hornady 250grn FTX does the job.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Hornady 250grn FTX does the job.

Sabotloader,
Lee has found the new FTX has a harder core then the SW and SST. As i have already told you i had problems with this bullet. The bullet is designed to be shot at CF speeds according to Lee's research(The FTX). I really think he's correct.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,
Lee wrote this on another thread to spaniel.

spaniel
You may want to do some testing on the FTX for the way they open up, I cut some of them up and the lead in them is a quite a bit harder than the lead in a SW. They are designed for a cartridge gun that shoots 2500fps at the muzzle. They work well in that gun I seen some that were nicely mushroomed that came out of a 400pound boar. I am not sure just how fast they have to be pushed to get good results in a muzzleloader. Lee
Old 06-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

Yes, I saw that but I am still inclined to believe for a thin skinned whitetail they are being shot to fast especially at close ranges... but when they get out there they seem to work a whole lot better. I am just thinking they do not have enought time to expand passing through a whitetail 0 to 100 yards uless you drill the shoulder seems like the harder FTX would bring that problem more to life....

Never read or seen a compliant about SST/SW and Distance shoot just the short one... like you could take one of those CSI laser sticks and stick it right through the hole....
Old 06-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks to the OP for the report on this bullet.

but, the knock I have read and seen is that the SST's/SW's pencil at the closer ranges and do not really expand as well - as they are going so fast they pass with out much expansion and yet at the longer ranges when they loose velocity they are excellent and expand as you would want them to???
The problem is that there are at least four 250 grain SST/Shockwave/FTX bullets. Most often the shooter does not know which bullet he was using when the alleged atrocity happened.

1. First there is the 250 grain SST/Shockwave with the hard plastic tip. i have killedquite a few deer and dozens of hogs with this bullet at distances from 15-192 yards; Most of those kills were bang flops ornear bang flops. A few of those hogs went over 300 pounds. That bullet has never failed to expand. It does not always leave an exit on a 150 pound hog or a deer that is broadside to the shot.

2. There is the 250 grain SST/Shockwave with the flex tip. I have killed hogs with this bullet and it performs well. My longest muzzleloader shot was 227 measured yards with this bullet: Bang flop or near bang flop.

3. There is alsothe Bonded Shockwave bullet. I have no personal experience with this bullet. However, a friend shot a deer with his Knight at about 70 yards using 100 grains of Pyrodex. That bullet went through one lung without expanding at all.He tracked, jumped and killed the deer about one half mile away. There was a pencil sized exit hole in a rib.

4. The 250 grain FTX is another bullet thati have no experience with.

The elusive search for the bullet that will turn a gut shot into a bang flop every time continues.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had good results with all the Hornady hard tip bullets. SST/SW...200grn, 250grn, and the 300grn. The 250grn Hornady flex tip was not very good when i used it at my velocities. The 250grn Bonded SW worked fine for me as well a couple years ago.

It seems like bullets are gonna be like velocities. In different zip codes we will see different results.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

spaniel

If i increase the BH209 since the core of the bullet is harder the bullet should mushroom/expand and kill the Deer alot better or more efficiently???????
This is for both of you... and you both know I do not shoot pointy bullets.... but, the knock I have read and seen is that the SST's/SW's pencil at the closer ranges and do not really expand as well - as they are going so fast they pass with out much expansion and yet at the longer ranges when they loose velocity they are excellent and expand as you would want them to???

And yes the animal is dead even at the close range - but sometimes does not know it for awhile...
Yes, I know that the story but you know my version of the story...I shoot SWs at all ranges for years and don't see this "penciling" problem at all. I don't buy it.

The whole thing about pointy bullets not expanding is hooey. Centerfire bullets are almost all pointy and nobody questions whether they expand (which they do quite well). Modern poly tip bullets are just a concealed hollowpoint. I've got some needle sharp pointy V-MAX bullets upstairs that open and completely shatter before even getting through a milk jug.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

spaniel
I believe that the "pointy bullets" expand as good as any other to and I am not sure if it was little girl loads or bad hits that started that pencil bit but in all the years myself and hunting buddies used the SWI have never seen any of this penciling that's been talked about. I do believe that the FTX which are designed to open at much higher velocity could present a problem except when heavy loads of BH or smokeless are used. Lee
Old 06-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

spaniel
I believe that the "pointy bullets" expand as good as any other to and I am not sure if it was little girl loads or bad hits that started that pencil bit but in all the years myself and hunting buddies used the SW I have never seen any of this penciling that's been talked about. I do believe that the FTX which are designed to open at much higher velocity could present a problem except when heavy loads of BH or smokeless are used. Lee
I agree with you, it COULD present a problem. The only way to know is to try, which I'm putting myself up for the job. Where I hunt now most potential shots are 200-350 yards, though of course I always look for ways to cut the range down. My shots in this area in the past two years have been 209, 180, 20, 338, and 200 yards. So I'll shoot the 325 FTX for a season and report my results. If they have problems opening at low velocity, you'll hear it from me.

Now watch me have deer run me over and shoot from the hip this year....

My dream has been to put a blind up near the bedding area I shoot at within 100 yds to bowhunt/ML from, but it's been way too busy this year to do that.