Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight help

Old 06-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Knight help

Guys - that Knight I got for $50 is in really nice shape. But being a traditional guy, I'm not too familiar with this design.
One, it looks like it has a nipple for a #11 cap. Could this be correct? If so, do I still need the red plastic thing-a-mi-giggies?
This looks like an older design that you unscrew the 'bolt' then pull it back to cock it.
Another question, Does this design have a breach plug that you can remove. If so, it didn't come with a breach plug wrench and it looks like it may be difficult to remove without one?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Knight help

Yes the old #11 cap Knight rifles have a nipple screwed into the breech plug. You do not need the red jacket holders. Just a long straight #11 capper and you can put a #11 cap on there with ease.

To cock the rifle, pull the black knob on the back, straight back until it locks. Then the second safety is you have to screw out the knob you pulled past a red mark on the shaft. An easy way is to screw it all the way back. Now the rifle with the side safety off can fire. If you want to unarm the rifle, screw that same knob in, and when you pull the trigger, the hammer will not hit the #11 cap.

To remove the nipple you need a long nipple wrench. I am sure that is not included. So you will have to look for some kind of after market. I use one from CVA for the Staghorn. It has the nipple wrench on one end, and then a straight bar standard screw driver head on the other. Once the nipple is out, you will see what there is a place for that. Or you can use a large heavy standard screw driver.

The trigger can be removed as well for easy cleaning. I have the manual on my computer in a PDF file that will open with Adobe. If you want it sent to you let me know. Or you can download it from the Knight rifle site. It will include the Wolverine, Bighorn, and Disc..
Old 06-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Spike

A picture would help a lot. Sounds like it could be an MK-85, Wolverine, Bighorn or Black Knight.

Does the nipple look like a #11 or musket cap like these;

http://www.knightrifles.com/catalog.aspx?catid=redhotnipple

Or does the breech plug look like this;

http://www.knightrifles.com/productdetail.aspx?id=900021

Instruction manuals can be found here;

http://www.knightrifles.com/instructionmanual/default

Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave - Thanks but I was down in the man's room and I got her all figured out. I had to remove the trigger assembly. The bolt came out easily. Then I removed the nipple (it was blocked up tight). I had to make a tool to remove the breach plug which took some time but it works perfectly. The breech plug was nice and clean except for some slight burnishing on the face. But glad I took it out there was no teflon tape or grease on it. I would have benn in for some fun later after a shooting session.
Got her all cleaned up and back together with a new nipple.
I believe it is an MK83 model from the pictures. For an older rifle, it was pretty well taken care of and is in nice shape.
I am going to try and test the reliability of the #11 ignition system. If its not up to par, I may switch to a musket cap. In any event, because of the long distance from the cap to the powder, I will be using magnum caps exclusively.