Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fathers Day Weekend - HMMLA Rondy

Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Fathers Day Weekend - HMMLA Rondy

The weekend finally got here, headed over to Troy, ID to take part in the Hog Meadows Muzzleloaders Association's Rondy. This is a local Rondy but it really is well attended.

I can not say that I am an actual Rondy person, as I only shoot the walking trail. It is just an event that I really like to do shoot. I am shooting a Renegade 50 cal with a .015 prelubed cotton patch, a Wonder Wad on top of 60 grains of T7-3f.

On this particular trail we have 20 different stations along the walk... The first stop is to shoot the tie breaker card - which for the first shot of the day - i really felt it was going to be a good day... One guy in my group got closer - but man he was shooting a 62 cal round ball gun - his one ball just about took out the hole target, more on this 62 cal later. Any way after the tie breaker shot we move to station #1 - a really easy shot @ this point my confidence came back to earth as I missed it. Still can not believe it... I am sure it was a crooked round ball...

The second target was a spoon target - 3 different size target that are suspended from a swing frame. I had decided I was going to shoot the mid sized sppon to score two points to make up for the miss on #1.... well I was the next to last guy in my group of 5 to shoot and they all shot the small spoon! crap I was forced to shoot the dinky one... Well I lucked out and spun that spoon around several times it was really a solid hit - again hoorah for me... Now this is the interesting part... the guy with the 62 shot last and he also chose the small spoon. When he hit that spoon it picked the hole apparatus up off the ground and rolled it over backwards... When I went up and picked the rack up to stand it up again - it was a heavy steel structure and that 62 just knock the whole dang thing over. I asked him about his powder charge - he said it was a reduced load for targets 80 grain GOEX 3f. It now my conclusion that a 62 cal round ball packs a pretty decent amount of blount energy... if it does not penetrate it will certainly turn something upside down...

As you can see I ended up missing four targets points out of the 20 possible. All the misses were long shoots 100 yds plus.... except...... after missing #20 a big steal elk at an estimated 150 yards... I really wanted to try again as I had missed all the long target and I could not figure out why for sure.... Well I re-loaded and thought 'aw what the heck!' Instead of holding a bit over the target I am going to hold on the target just below the back.... I should have let the gun drive all day instaed of trying to tell the gun where to shoot.... I hit the 'dag gone' thing - I can not believe that a round ball would go that far on somewhat of a line with 60 grains of powder... Wish I could back and shoot all of the those long targets again... But I will be 'more ready' for Colfax, WA next weekend...

I had fun and SHOOTING IS JUST PLAIN FUN!!!! gonna try the flinter a little bit next week if I can get somebody at the Colfax shoot to help me git started....

Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fathers Day Weekend - HMMLA Rondy

Mike have you ever tried using Pyrodex P instead of 777. It may be me or my guns but the accuracy I could get with 777 was nowhere near as good. (90 gr and an .o18) did well for me.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man that soundslike fun Sabotloader,and it looks like you were shooting well too.It's a shame you didn't get a chance to work out the long range trajectory of that load in advance.

You guys that post on Rondy shoots just turn me green with envy. There's nothing like that around here. On top of that, with the change in hunting regulations last year from "muzzle loading season" to a "primitive" season allowing breechloading single shots, there are fewer muzzle loader shooters than ever.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

Yep! I tried Pyro - two different kinds and could not get it to shoot as well as T7 - even tried GOEX 3f - but I still prefer T7.... the only problem is I do have to use the 'wonder wad' to insulate the patch...

I also tried all of the 'pillow ticking' patches and I just burn them up even with the wad so I went back to regular cotton. Tried .018 patches also hoping the extra thickness would give me additional insulation but when I load them they are so tight the patches often get cut on the way down the barrel. The .018's feel really good going down not real tight at all but when you pull the load out and look at the patch sometimes it is cut other times it just looks stressed all the wall around the ball...

Actually I think my accuracy is alright - it is my faith in how well a round ball will fly...

this is a 30 yard target with the rondy load... the target says .010 patch - but that is a typo it was a .015 patch..

Old 06-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

We have them (Rondy shoots) all around over here - you can almost schedule every weekend with a Rhondy and never travel more than 200 miles...

Come on out!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

That does sound like alot of fun. Good shooting
Old 06-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Spike

Hey Mike!! I want to see a pic of you dressed in that Rondy rig...Ok?

Come on.....share

Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

spit

i caint... dare aint a big nuf lens & sides i aint got the stuff yet... but when i does i plan on it being a frenchy canadian trapper - dey were here b4 lewis & clark gots here - even tho history tells it sorta different...

Old 06-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

nice shooting there... that is some good shooting you did there.