Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking to buy my first muzzleloader.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 PM

Default Looking to buy my first muzzleloader.

Going to buy a T/C Pro hunter 209x50 muzzleloader. Not many places to buy around here in CT. We do have a Cabelas in Hartford, CT. Anyone buy a muzzleloader at Cabelas? Wish to share your experiences?

I am also looking at GunsAmerica and GunBroker but have to deal with FFL dealers and by the time you pay shipping and FFL transfers you might as well pay retail.

Reason for the muzzleloader is for a trip to illinois this fall. I like the fact that you can buy all types of barrells for this gun.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default RE: Looking to buy my first muzzleloader.

My opinion but a Knight. Much more accurate and you can mail order them as long as it's legal in your state. The TC is a great gun but it can't compare with a knight for accuracy.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, Knights areaccurate. However, if you buy a newKnight that is bad there is no one to make it right now that Knight is out of business.

http://www.knightmlhunt.com/EditorsView.html
Old 06-11-2009, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a Pro Hunter you will not go wrong. I love mine and I killed my biggest buck to date w/ that gun, a SS thumb hole stock, CR50/40 harvester sabot, 200 grain 10 mm, xtp/mag bullet on top of 110 grains BH209. Shot at 140 measured yards. However that being said, I am going to a heavier bullet this year, just my preference for these big Ohio deer.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CTBuckKilla
I like the fact that you can buy all types of barrells for this gun.
If you take advantage of that concept it's worth it. As far as a Muzzleloader it's low end for sure. The T/C Triumph or a Knight Disc Elite/Extremewould be a much better choice as a Muzzleloader only.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Spike

I have bought 2 muzzleloaders from Cabela's, no problems just like buying from anyother gun store.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

CTBuckKilla: I'm not allowed to purchase and then receive a MZ via mail directly here in NJ [:@], guess the same is true in CT.I usually find a much better price from dealers on the Internet and have them ship to an FFL dealer I know, who charges me $20 to do the legal paperwork. Which usually is much cheaper than Cabelas $.

TheGA and GB websites maintain a list of FFL dealers in your area that offer this service. Might pay to check them out.

BTW... sounds like you made your rifle choice. I own both T/C's and Knight's. IMO you can't go wrong with either.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

If you have not already decided there is another option I would suggest. The CVA Optima Elite is a switch barrel rifle that uses Bergara barrels which I believe are superior to the T/C barrels especially in the Muzzle loading barrel. The CVA barrel will shoot full bore conicals other than just Powerbelts which the T/C rifles will not. It is also a lot easier to load the CVA barrel as some of the T/C barrels are actually slightly undersize which makes loading a real pain. My Omega is nearly impossible to get a bullet down the bore unless you select bullet size and special order sabots thinner. I know there are those that love the Encore but I also know of a lot that have had to have the QLA machined off to get decent accuracy and many have had to get the hinge pin switched to the aftermarket oversize pin to tighten up the action. For that much money I would expect T/C to machine the stuff right in the first place (obviously I am less than impressed with my T/C rifle - the traditional ones are good but the inlines are quesionable).
Old 06-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

I got a T/C Omega for Christmas and I love it. It does not have the interchangable barrels but its a good ML for the price. No bells or whistles but a great working hunting BP rifle. The bore is a little tight but I dont have to go to the extream of special ordering sabots. Since it is BP only, no FFL is needed to ship. Ther are some other rifles out there that have better Breech Plug and other features but you will pay a little extra for them. IMO, the extra price does not make them any more accurate than a basic ML. If price isnt a factor and your into asthetics and extras, go big, if you just want a good, reliable hunting BP rifle, no need to spend the extra cash. IMO.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

jeeze MLkeith I would divorce the SOB if I was you and it acted like that to me!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first muzzleloader.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.