Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter

Old 06-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bore Butter

Who uses it, who doesn't? What are your experiances and how do you use it?

Im not sure I really trust it for strorage as a rust preventer but a friend of mine runs a patch of it down his bore before he shoots and his tenth shot will load like his 1st shot. Works great that way for him so I might try that next time I go shoot. Used to use it for storage but would get a rusty bore every once in a while so I quit. Think you have to know how to do it just right for it work that way.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bore Butter

Sharp Shooter

I have used it for years and it really worked well for me - never had a problem with it. In your case shooting traditional rifles with true black powder it could be a good product. You really do have to be careful about caking the barrel with BB. BB will reduce fouling if applied to a warm clean barrel in a very thin layer. Shoot I even use it in my trap guns - sure cuts down on plastic fouling.

A better product (IMO) of the same type product, available today are prelubed TC T-17 patches - they are much easier to handle than globs of BB and can be used in the field as a bore wipe also. I use them often at Rondy shoots.

In my case I did use them for bore protection also - but there are many people that have had bad experiances with it. BB and T-17 are both water soluable and assuming you are washing your bore with hot soapy water you are removing it each time you clean - and you want to do that to prevent a build up.

Lots of people will disagree but use what works for you
Old 06-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sharp shooter - I use BB in every one of my 6 or so sidelocks and I've never had a rusting issue. And one of these rifles I've owned since the early 70s. After a shooting session, I always swabbed the bore out before I left the range with T/C #13. No I use T-17 as Sabotloader mentioned.
When I get home, I strip the rifle(s) down and give them a hot soap and water bath - first with a nylon brush then patches. Then a hot clean water rinse.
The trick with using BB is to be sure the barrel is completely dry and hot before application. Before I apply it after the rinse, I dry with patches, then an alcohol moistened patch and another dry patch. Wait a min or two and apply the BB sparingly.
A lot of shooters do not use it and would rather use a quality gun oil. And that's fine. I just figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And BB works for me.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I am pretty new to BP but I use BB and have had no problems with rusting or clumping. I use it on my T/C Omega and my Traditions Woodsman. I am not quite sure what "seasoning" the barrel is but it is sposed to help season your barrel as well.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot modern inlines and do not use Bore Butter. No need to in my opinion.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Bore butter is a great conical lube. Other then for that, I have no use for it.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

I do not use it anymore in mypipeas I also pulled rust out of my renegade after long term storage. I do understand that it makes a good gun wax for stocks as it does contain a fair amount of beeswax. I now like it better on the outside of my gun.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seasoning is for cast iron - not steel rifle barrels.
I like my Triumph, but am indifferent to TC because of past issues - can't believe
they still push "seasoning" for modern guns.

Steve
Old 06-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Powerfisher
Most people do not understand seasoning a barrel. When I season a barrel I first scrub it completely clean then I take everything off including the breach plug I put it in an oven and hold it at 200 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes,then using insulated gloves I wipe down the inside of the barrel with BB. I have Hawken rifles I won bought or built [one of each] in the 1965 to 1978 period that have never had any thing else used in them. Now none of them have ever shown any rust. The one thing I would mention about BB is that it is a waxy substance and if you don't use some thing to clean out the excess when you clean the gun it can build up and will affect accuracy. Lee
Old 06-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's ok for patch lune,con lube and on breech plug threads but I wouldn't use it for anything else.

Quick Reply: Bore Butter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.