Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Precision Bullets Dead Center

Old 05-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default Precision Bullets Dead Center

I went to a friends party and happen to pass by a Outdoor shop.......Well turned around and stopped in. Huge blackpowder section, the owners cup of tea if you will. After talking to him for way to long the age old ?'s came up.....gun...bullets...loads...?
He sells a little of everything, his choice sad for me to say Knight Disc. Then he shows me these bullets the disc shoots with groups at 100 that were as close as I've seen. Loose powder(777) user in disc but the bullet he says is the most accurate he has used to date.
With my semi annual range use i did buy 2 packs(14.99each) and some 777 loose(23.99)
so who knows when i will have time to get out and shoot, but was wondering if anyone has shoot them. Web site on pack www.prbullet.com
Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Precision Bullets Dead Center

They are AWESOME bullets. They are very accurate and deadly on game. I have not used any lately. They were alway's very consistent in weights. If you have a scale you can confirm that with the new one's you bought. I alway's prefered the 220grn DeadCenter in the Knights. The 40cal 260 DC was excellant in the Savage. The .44cal 300grn was very accurate in my Encore. Actually after tweeking the Encore, that combination was probably the smallets group i ever shot with a ML.

Those bullets mentioned were alot better on game then both Hornady SST'S and all the Barnes i used. I also found the sweet spot for me was less then 2000fps. I really had no luck pushing them faster. I used to use alot of 777 pellets with them and around 100grns of 777 by volume.

Which bullets did you buy?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Dead Center is a very good bullet. They are accurate as anything else and shoot pretty flat. They only have three drawbacks:
1) Price
2) Velocity limitations
3) My Omega won't shoot them

I shot them for several years in my previous gun with excellent results, mostly the QT and the 195gr Duplex Dead Center. Deer dropped quickly, shot them at ranges out to 200+ yds and they performed everywhere. I have a few recovered ones, they look like nickels with the base of the bullet still discernible in one side. Most were pass-thrus though, I only recovered them on frontal shots.

The thing to be careful of is to limit yourself to about 1800 fps. Depending on the gun, accuracy usually goes away quickly as you exceed 1800 to 2000 fps. I shot them up to 2000 fps well, but my buddy's Encore won't take them over 1800 fps. The soft lead just won't do it. This is why I switched to 200gr Shockwaves when the DCs wouldn't shoot accurately at any velocity in my Omega, they have a slightly lower BC but I can drive them 200fps faster so they still end up shooting flatter.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spaniel,
My buddy experienced the same as you with his omega. He switched out the orange 40cal supplied sabot and used the blue MMP sabot for the 40cal bullets in a 50cal ML. His groups are alot better now. He switched to the SST'S as well because of cost and velocity.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot the 195 grain DC's, but haven't used them on game. I was shooting them at about 1950 fps and got very good accuracy. They seem to be very well made, consistent and accurate. Others have had good performance on game, but I can't personally attest to that. I mostly stopped shooting them because they are considerably more expensive than the XTP's I use now. But if I could afford it, I would certainly consider using them again.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

jaybez101099
They are a good bullet in some ways, like most lead bullets the velocity range they are accurate in is limited I got good accuracy with them at about 1850 fps and they require a ramrod tip that fits them as they are easy todeform. Lee
Old 05-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

Spaniel,
My buddy experienced the same as you with his omega. He switched out the orange 40cal supplied sabot and used the blue MMP sabot for the 40cal bullets in a 50cal ML. His groups are alot better now. He switched to the SST'S as well because of cost and velocity.
Yup, I tried that, as well as sub-bases. No help in my gun. They are really each their own animal, aren't they?
Old 05-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spaniel
They are really each their own animal, aren't they?
Yes they are. Another good thing about these bullets are you have alot of options to find the right combination in your ML. It does get exspensive no doubt. I got tired of soft lead, that's why i started using a variety of different bullets.