Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Perferred patch lube

Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Perferred patch lube

I have tried quite a number of moose milk recipes and found some of them that worked quite well for cleaning, some of them also work ok on the range if you shoot them right away. Problem I ran into when I tested them over night for huntingis that all but the wax and olive oil and bore butter open up the group. I think mm tends to get into the powder when left set any length of time. Lee
Old 05-23-2009, 03:03 AM
Fork Horn

I have experimented with different lubes for years. My favorite lube for a hunting load is bear grease. I heat it just enough to melt the grease and dip strips of pillow ticking in it then roll them up and squeeze out the excess. Purehog lard would probably work just as well but not bacon grease because of the salt.

At the range I have found that olive oil and water 50/50 mix works well but must be shook up each time you use it because the oil and water will seperate in the bottle.

I cut my patches at the muzzle with a sharp knife.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the input guys. Seems as though olive oil will be the cheapest route. I can pick a bottle of that up for $1 at the dollar store.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/203261/

Here is a link to both Moose Milk and Moose Snot...There are many lubes that work well for patches I have experimented with a dozen or so through the years...Lube is the last thing I work on when developing a load unless my patches are burning through...I have see changing lube make a big difference in how a gun groups even though the patches work fine...

For about 25 years I used SnsSeal, it's a mix of beeswax for waterproofing boots...Now I use the Moose Snot recipe listed here...
Old 05-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forget the mix ratio I used but water/Ballistol worked great in my GPR.I let them dry overnight.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

i like the NAPA GRINDING OIL #765-1525 for 6 dollars a bottle ,then murphys oil soap,iso propyl,water.reason for this i like DRY patch and i now am cutting at muzzle,i dont like anything greasy when handling pillowtick in strips.

as for pre-cut patch lube, yes OLIVE OIL is real good one and very cheap.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been using olive oil at the range for the last few months. As I said earlier, Ilike it better than anything I've tried so far. (I use the "extra virgin"just because I like the name.) I've foundan "almost dry" olive oil patch gives me real good accuracy and, because I pre-lube my patches prior to the range session, they are niceto handle without a lot of mess.

I like to hunt on a clean dry barrel and sometimes leave the load in the gun for weeks. Last fall I tested the fairly stiff lube mixture of bees wax/Crisco/olive oil that I was using at the time by leaving a load in my Great Plains for two weeks (with a squeaky clean barrel).I did have a wonder wad between the ball and powder. When I shot it I could discern no weakening of the powder charge and it hit where it should have. I've not tried that yet with a straight olive oil patch but would expect the same results.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tanks Semi - But I think I gonna try to get me some extra slutty olive oil.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Bronko, you can't find it on every shelf, but this particular style is pretty good stuff.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

I just relayed to Terry that you guys were suggesting Olive Oil - she came un-glued - you are not shooting MY expensive real Olive Oil in a />&* gun. I will have to look on my own I guess

Quick Reply: Perferred patch lube

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.