Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Moose Bullet?

Old 05-15-2009, 03:57 AM

Default Moose Bullet?

I'm heading to Newfoundland this fall to hunt moose with my 50 Cal T/C Omega. I'm looking for some recommendations on what type of bullet to use? Up to this point I've takena few whitetails using Powerbelt Aerotips and they've worked fine for whitetails, but from doing some reading, I'm not sure if they are the best choice for a big heavy hided animal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Moose Bullet?

I use the Speer Uni-Cor 4485:

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballist...il.aspx?id=212

I use them on whitetails but MMP Sabots rates it as a large game bullet, ie., moose and elk...

Last edited by rdpettit; 09-20-2010 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Other good choices would be a Nosler Partition or 300gr Bonded Shockwave.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunter4E

Ifn it were me i would probably use my tried and tested 'elk' bullet. The Nosler .458/300 Partition PP. This is a rifle bullet and it is an excellent performer for me on elk. I shoot it with 110 grains of T7-2f in an MMP HPH-.457/.458 - 50 cal Orange sabot.

This is a pic of the recovered .458

I would also like to tell you that there is a new bullet on the market that might also be of some interest to you. Depending on my personal hunting experiance with a smaller bullet on whitetail early in this upcoming hunting season I may make the move to one of these new bullets to hunt elk with this fall also. These bullets work on a different theory of operation than the normal bullet so the concept is a bit difficult for 'old foggies' like me to grasp - but I am investigating...

The bullet that I might try is a Lehigh .458/300 grain - again a rifle bullet and currently being used by 45-70 shooters. The reports that have grabbed my interest have been some very good reports of performance of the bullet on Buffalo hunts. Here is a picture of the bullet ont he right standing next to Barnes bullet.

Another bullet that is being offered is the new .458/275 grain Lehigh. Depending on some velocity tests that I will run hopefully this upcoming week - this just might be what I use this fall on elk.

It probabably is not a good idea to recommend a projectile a bullet that I have never tested but from everything that I found while shooting this bullets in a testing situation and the observations i have made from other in hunting situations... they may have a great future.

I will tell you if today right now... if I had to make the immediate decision without my own testing - i would go with the Nosler... I know that I am going to get accuracy and terrific hydrostatic damage to the internals.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

+1
Lee
ORIGINAL: spaniel

Other good choices would be a Nosler Partition or 300gr Bonded Shockwave.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I have no suggestion because I don't own an Omega and never hunted moose with a muzzleloader. If the Omega shot conicals, I would suggest a 460 grain Bull Shop and a strong powder charge of say 110 grains, get within 100 yards and blow that chunk of lead into it. I would take my White Ultra Mag of course and do that.

Good luck with your moose hunt. Even a good Shockwave bonded should have good accuracy, excellent penetration and because of being bonded should hold together well, I WOULD THINK.

I shoot the Nosler out of my Black Diamond XR with 110 grains of Triple Seven and their accuracy is exceptional. But I never got a deer willing to test them for me yet.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

290g Barnes T-EZ
Old 05-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only hunt whitetails but if I was to hunt moose or even elk my bullet of choice would be the Barnes 300gr Expander MZ.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

290g Barnes T-EZ
+1 BARNES all the way ...they do not FRAGMENT
Old 05-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I definitely wouldn't trust a Lehigh bullet on anmoose hunt. Not that it wouldn't kill it because it just might. But there just isn't enough real world hunting data to warrant trusting such an important hunt to such a new and unproven bullet.

Quick Reply: Moose Bullet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.