Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Searching For TC Scope Base Adapter

Old 05-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Searching For TC Scope Base Adapter

panhandle, This is not a tc but a investarms stock with a green mountain barrel, but you can get the general idea how it would look.

And no, you do not have to drill and tap any holes in the TC barrels or the GM barrels.

If you get one of these bases you just remove the front sight and the small screw at the rear of the barrel and the base will fit.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's my Renegade with the .45 GM LRH barrel and a 4x Simmons ProDiamond scope (which I think is the perfect scope for a sidelock).

Old 05-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Panhandle, check the barrel you want to scope. There should be a very small screw just in front of the tang. Some of the very old barrels do not have that screw. They have to be tapped.

Also these mounts are off set, so the hammer will slide right past it. They work real well.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:17 PM

Thanks guys for the info....... There's only one problem. My Hawken doesn't have a small screw at the end of the barrel. The rear mounting screw on mine is located between the two large screws on the tang. This seems like it would take a mount that is curved to fit the contour of the tang. This would also make it impossible to remove the barrel without first removing the scope mount. The hole is probably for mounting a peep sight.Maybe I need to drill and tap a new hole. This would be a tricky manuever to align just right and not go too deep. I'm sure there's a way.
Zen

Cayuga...
I read your reply after submitting my post.....Looks like I have to drill and tap. Thanks
Old 05-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Panhandle, you really don't have to worry about going too deep with the hole. It will be in the meaty part of the breech plug, about 1/8" from the very rear end. As far as alignment goes, it shouldn't be too difficult. Mount thebase in place using the two screw holes for the rear sight rearsightand mark your drill point by inserting a small punch throughthe rear hole on the base.

Also, if you call TC and ask they will send you an offset hammer at no charge - at least they did for me. You may not need the offset hammer, depending on what scope you use, how big the ocular bell is, how high your rings are, and how far back the scope ispositioned in the mounts.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 AM

Semi...
Thanks for the input on the drilling and the offset hammer. I'm going to order the mounton Monday. Hope they still have one.I plan on putting a 2-7x36mmBushnell Legend on it. I went out to shoot some PRB's for the first time yesterday and made the decision then. Even at 30yds I couldn't get a clearly focused sight picture. Can't get the three points to come in clear. Thanks again, Zen