Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting the .45 GM Renegade (Pretty Good But Not Great)

Old 04-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting the .45 GM Renegade (Pretty Good But Not Great)

I put fifteenrounds through the .45 GM LRH Renegade this morning - three five shot groups at 100 yards. It was a nice relaxing range session in perfect weather.

The shooting went slowly because I wascleaning and oilingthe barrel between each shot, and walking out to change the 100 yard target after each group.
Before starting the shoot I weighed out 15 charges of Triple 7 FFG and put them in Lane's powder tubes. The charges were 57 grains weight, which fills my Tru-View powder measure to the 80 grain volume mark.

I didn't get those famous one-inch groups, but I was pretty happy with the results.

Here's the first target shooting 200 grain .40 Hornady XTP HPs in Harvester 4540B sabots (the smooth sided ones)over that 80 grain volumecharge.

That shot at the top of the group, just under the 1" round dot, was the first shot of the group from a squeaky clean, cold, oiled barrel.
Then,I swabbed the bore with both sides of a very wet 91% alcohol patch, followed by both sides of a less wet alcohol patch, followed by a lightly oiled patch before loading the next charge.
I followed that swabbing/oiling routine for the entire shooting session.

This barrel has the 4x Simmons ProDiamond scope, which has 1/2" click adjustments at 100 yards. So I adjusted the scope five clicks up and shot another round with the same load. Here's the target.

Another two-inch group. The first two shots were the ones that hitthe one-inch dot. Man, was I grinning. I'm particularly happy that I've got a decent"clean barrel" shooter. I was also pleased to see that the click adjustments on that $40 ProDiamond were pretty reliable.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I was orienting the sabot upon loadingso that the lands aligned with the petals of the sabots, not the slots. Thiswas the first time I've tried that technique. I don't know if that made a difference, but the last time I shot these bullets in this gun I was getting four-inch groups. It's not a fair comparison though because those groups were with 85, 90 and 95 grains of Pyrodex P. So the powder may be what made the difference.

Anyway, I can sure hunt with a two-inch group. And several of you guys tell me the 200 grain .40XTP is a deer killer, so I'm good to go.

Just for the heck of it, I shot the last target with some 180 grain .40 XTPs that I had on hand for reloading.45 ACP rounds.

Here's the target with the 180s. The velocity jump was about what I expected, butI was surprised the POI was so close to the 200 grainers.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting the .45 GM Renegade (Pretty Good But Not Great)

that to me is some good shooting... that rifle seems consistent.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is some good groups.Dead deer.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

200gn XTP'S will kill Deer don't worry.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

200gn XTP'S will kill Deer don't worry.
Oh, but I do worry Grouse. I'm a heavy bullet fan and lean toward the 300 grain Gold Dotsin my 50 calibers. I'm having a hard time building confidence in those40 caliber XTPs. My maximum shooting range is 175 yards. I'm comfortable with the 300 grainers out that far,but those tiny little 200s .....?????
Old 04-27-2009, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you tried different sabots? Some times a different sabot will make a different group size. Lee
Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those "tiny" little 200 grainers for me have been 3 shots, 3 dead deer - 2 of them boom-flops. The non-boom-flop was due to less-than ideal shot placement. So I wouldn't worry
Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a good range session. Cant argue against a 300 gr Gold dot. But think about all the dead deer from 30-30s or 35 remingtons. That 200 grain XTP or even the 180s are pretty close to those velocitys & "killing power" At least thats what I told my self all season long while holding my X7 loaded with a 200 grain SST over 70 grains BH209. It got a pass thru on a doe at 80 yards. Now like I said no arguement against a 300 grain Gold Dot
Old 04-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane
I'm having a hard time building confidence in those40 caliber XTPs.
The bullets will build your confidence for you.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting Semi. I was also surprised when I shot some 150 gr Noslers out of my GM .45 and they hit the same POI as the 200 gr XTPs.
Just wondering, why don't you try some 70 gr charges next time out? Looks like you got a good shooter there and maybe a little 'tweaking' will make it even better.
Now I have a hankering to go out shooting myself but its hot. 85 degrees - not fun shooting in that heat. Especially with no shade.

Quick Reply: Shooting the .45 GM Renegade (Pretty Good But Not Great)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.