Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best medium to shoot into.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best medium to shoot into.

Somali Pirates
Good one Pioneer2. I wonder how they would react to a bunch of guys lining the rails with flintlocks.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Sand it is. Back in the day, didnt they have BP Cannonson boardfor the same reasons? Arrrggg!
Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

Somali Pirates......................................Harol d
bravo!

I once had an idea to construct a faux ribcage made of wooden dowls (ribs)jello (lungs) an orange (heart) and cover it all w/leather or carpet for hide.... never did it though... maybe one day when life slows down.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html
You can make your own ballistic jell real reasonable this address has the instructions.
This is how I rate for bullet testing
Deer
Hogs
Ballistic jell
sandy loam
wet telephone books in a box
Partly due to what is available to me.
Have fun,Lee
Old 04-19-2009, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I require multiple shots at real game to trust it.

Second would be ballistic gel of some kind.

Both newspaper and sand show at a high level the expansion POTENTIAL of a bullet, both are so different from real-world scenarios that I feel almost meaningless.

Personally I feel all the bullets you mention are good, and there is no meaningful difference to be found through such tests that depart greatly from real-world applications.

It is fun though...
Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: spaniel

I require multiple shots at real game to trust it.

Second would be ballistic gel of some kind.

Both newspaper and sand show at a high level the expansion POTENTIAL of a bullet, both are so different from real-world scenarios that I feel almost meaningless.

Personally I feel all the bullets you mention are good, and there is no meaningful difference to be found through such tests that depart greatly from real-world applications.

It is fun though...
I agree; and while hogs are available here the year round I also find they are enoughsolidier than deer that the bullet opens noticeably better.
One of the real tests of a bullet is to use it on the animal you are matching it to there is no bullet thats good for everything.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

I use about 16 inches of soaked phone books.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Unfortuneatly, I havent been able to use any of these bullets on game yet so that why I am wondering. I have some water jugs filled with water that I am going to place in front of a big ole box a wet sand wrapped in duct tape to catch the bullets. I will go out to 100yds to be sure of a good shot placement. I figure my longest shot wont be much beyond100yds. I tried to make some home made jel and.....wasnt very sucesful. I will try again.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

So, my bullistic gel didnt work again. So I get out to the range and set up my bucket "o" sand, a box of wet telephone books at 100yds and put a water jug in front of them. Set up my bench, get my Omega out and went for theshooting bag with all my stuff and.......wheres the bag? Left it home on the safe. I am 50 minuts away from home and I have no powder, bullets, primers....nothing, just my ML. So, that research project will have to wait till next week. But my new Sig P220 .45 shoots GREAT. My buddy has a Glock in a .40 S&W and wanted to see some difference as far as destruction goes and he was quite impressed. Big difference in damage. I was using FMJ and so was he. I went through thicker and dencer material than his .40. We used small rounds of wood, against the grain and with the grain, some steel plate and an old RV that some hehaw brought down to the range to shoot up. Now I know why I wanted a bigger semi auto. I also had lots of time to sight in my .22 rifle for my son andsqueezd off (30) 30.06 reloads and a few tracers. The CRAFT & CRS is no joke! I will be making a(do not forget list) for next week.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

Somali Pirates......................................Harol d
bravo!

I once had an idea to construct a faux ribcage made of wooden dowls (ribs)jello (lungs) an orange (heart) and cover it all w/leather or carpet for hide.... never did it though... maybe one day when life slows down.

It sounds as if it would really have to slow down!

Quick Reply: Best medium to shoot into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.