Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Man! Do these Whites Shoot Goot!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Man! Do these Whites Shoot Goot!!!

Well, I finally got some time to go do some inline shooting, been spending my recent shooting time shooting the Renegade and PRB’s, but today I decided that I wanted to shoot an inline. I did have a specific purpose in mind today – I really wanted to shoot some of these Lehigh’s that Grouse has been talking about. Besides shooting the 10mil/200 grain HP, I wanted to shoot the experimental 10mil/200 grain Ballistic Tip. Tom had sent me 6 tips so I inserted them into the HP bullets that I had on hand and placed them is a special container and then into the shooting bag, along with the box of hollow points.

Why the White? Tom had shot the BT’s in his Knight Disc Elite which has a 1/30 twist and they did not do well at all! He had discussed the problem with Dave Fricke of Lehigh and Dave worked the math – they were to long for a 1/30 twist. Tom felt they would do well in a 1/24 twist though. Well as most know the White is a 1/24 – now, I am not a Ballistician, but why are not more rifles 1/24 – I think White has proven that it will shoot long heavy bullets and I know it will shoot light short bullets (10mil/200 grain XTP) – seems to me the 1/24 is a universal twist rate. Sorry, I digress…

Took the White and headed to the ‘Rock Pit’ – turkey season opened this morning so I was a bit worried someone might be camped there or already shooting there before I got there. But I got it all to myself. I got my little portable shooting bench and my workbench (the tailgate of the truck) set up and was ready to experiment…

I loaded up my first round – 100 grains of T7-2f and a Lehigh HP. I looked down to the end of the rock pit for something to shoot with that very first bullet (100 yards +). Through the scope I spotted a 1 liter Pepsi bottle that someone had set out about ½ full of water. Decided that would be the first shot. I had no idea where the first shot was going to go as the gun was sighted in with .458/300 grain Noslers. Lined the crosshairs up on the middle of the bottle and squeezed. I punched a really nice hole right through the neck of the bottle… nothing to talk about… Loaded again and this time held right on the bottom of the bottle, another nice hole just above the water line and about 5” above the POA. I was really surprised that these things seemed to shoot so flat, but I moved the scope down 12 clicks. Loaded again and sighted right at the base again. I can only say I really wish I had taken a video camera. Now, I have shot bottles of water before and thought the show was neat, but I have to tell you this was spectacular – it was an explosion. I walked down to the end of the rock pit to check it out. The only thing I found where the bottle had been was a 6’ circle of spattered water on the rock wall behind where the bottle was. I did find the bottle but it was several feet away from where it had been. I found my neat little 10 mil holes above the water line in the bottle. The entrance hole in the bottle in the water was also 10 mil but the back did not exist and the sides were ruptured. Awesome explosive show.

Back to the task at hand… Placed the target and lasered back to the truck 101 yards. Walked back to the truck and began the experimenting.

My first loads were 100 grain of T7-2f, I shot 3 shots and the hung in there real well. I know I was wishing they were a bit tighter… The next four shots I stepped the charge up to my normal 110 grains. I should have stopped at 3 shots… but I really wanted one of Semi’s five shot groups – shot #7 screwed the group. These were all 10mil/200 grain HP’s.

I then changed to the 10mil/200 grain BT’s (these are not available from Lehigh yet as they need to be proven). I was somewhat worried about these because they did not shoot well for Tom. Stayed with the 110 grain charge – Shot #1 was not at the POA but I thought it was acceptable. #2&3 showed some real promise – shoulda quit!!! #4 ticked me off and #5 was the result of being upset. I need to say #4 and #5 were not the fault of the bullet. I had one more BT but I decided not to shoot it as I wanted to hang on to one of them – just so I could show it around at the muzzy shoot this weekend in Kennewick.

At this point I am going to use one these HP’s on a whitetail this season, I believe it will do everything I need it to do from short yardage to 200 yards (my personal max).

OH! I did take one last shot with a HP – someone had placed a few tangerines on the rocks at the end of the Rock Pit – I couldn’t resist! – it was just there for the taking…

Then out of respect for Turkey Season I did pattern the 870 on a turkey target at 40 yards – I am ready…

Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Man! Do these Whites Shoot Goot!!!

That's a mighty fine report Sabotloader. So, shot #7 expanded a 1/2" group all the way out to 3/4". Well boo-hoo! Pardon me if I don't shed a tear. And that 5-shot group with the ballistic tips that BLEW UP all the way to an inch and a quarter at 101 yards. Honestly, I just don't know how you can live with that kind of shooting.

What do you say guys? Should we take up a collection so old SL can buy something that shoots???
Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shooting... and report !

Still have a .451 G-Series Whitetail... only shot conicals out of it. Guess I'll try some sabots.

Can you post a larger pic of your rifle???? Thanks!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

Well it is aggrivating! and wen I lasered back from the shooting bench to the target it was only 97 yards...

Look at that picture through the scope... The scope is on 9X and the camera is ran up to 3X - do you see the tangerine sitting right there on the rock? If dat tangerine were a monster whitetail buck - like it was when I squeezed the trigger it would be dead! But since is not the season for shooting whitetail it will have to remain a tangerine... That was a fun shot!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

rt

Bet you a buck it would shoot sabots - lights out... they are really good guns. The twist rate of your gun might make it a natural for shooting 10mil bullets. This particular gun in the hands of someone like Lee who knows how to shoot off a bench - it would be an amazing show...

UC gives me a real bad time about the camo stock (Autumn Aspen) - it is bright butDoc White swears if I lay it down in the woods I'll never find it...

Old 04-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

it will have to remain a tangerine...
Nope! Tangerine juice. And no one around to say "Holy Cow! Nice Shot!" DANG. Well, it's belated, but - NICE SHOT!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

Look closely just to the right of the upper verticle wire and just above the horizontal cross hair - little orange spot sitting on top of the rock...

Here you go...

Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

That tangerine was still alive then.

That stock is kind of growing on me...
Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now if they would just make a 45 cal Triumph with that twist.
Very nice shooting Sabotloader, Lee
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

yabut! it werent after ay squeezed da trigger anda hammer fell... dat was ma goodest shot ofda day

Quick Reply: Man! Do these Whites Shoot Goot!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.