Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lets get some opinions and have fun

Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Lets get some opinions and have fun

#1 Of all the muzzleloader rifles you have owned... if you could only keep one. Which one would you keep? Why?

That's just a plain mean question Cayugad. It's causing me too much anguish just thinking about it. I'm tempted to say the .54 GP flintlock, but in all honesty it would have to be the Omega X7 because it'ssuch a great shooting, easy carrying, easy cleaning gun that will cover any and all hunting situations I'll ever encounter.

#2 Of all the muzzleloaders you have seen or read about. If the good muzzleloading fairy was going to leave you a present under your pillow, which non custom (in other words, factory assembly) muzzleloader would you like to wake up to? Why?

It would be a Perdersoli Mortimer flintlock target rifle - .45 caliber / 1:21 twist. Why - just look at the picture. (If you can't have fun with that gun, you are incapable of having fun. )

#3 If you did not own any muzzleloaders. BUT had the knowledge and experience you had with muzzlelaoder that you do. Would you still buy the same rifles over again? Or would you change your buying habits and purchase totally different?

No doubt about it - my purchases wouldbe different. I might end up with one or two of the same guns I now own, but the process of getting there would be organized.

I would be looking for six top qualityguns - deciding just which one of each would be half the fun:

One.50 caliber in-line.
One.40 or .45caliber flintlock.
One.54caliber flintlock.
One .58 caliber military musket.
One .54 caliber underhammer caplock.
One 12 gauge double caplock.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmm the one I would keep would be my G-series Whitetail. This gun has tagged me alot of deer over the years and has been a dandy rifle.

The one I would like to have would be the triumph or another White rifle.

I think I would by the same ones again. I own 5 ML's and all shoot just purty darn good.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

If I had to go with onlyone non custom muzzeloaderwith iron sightsI would go with the old style TC Renegade .54 caliber with double set triggers and flint ignition.

Reasons:

1. 54 caliber roundball has enough weight tocreate enough horsepower to cleanly kill any animal in north america.

2. If Ifeel the need for more enegery I can upgrade to a 430gr Maxi

3. A good flint can give 50 to 100 shots and can be shipped without hazardous materials fees.

4. If needed, Ican pick ip a rock and chip itinto a crude flint that will work.

5. With a well made flintlock, such as the old renegade, ignition is fast and reliable and cleaning is easy.

6. The old Renegade is durable and rugged.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

54Cal Lyman deerstalker percussion
Encore
I would do the same just more like Cay.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Spike

[Also lets put a kicker on this.. no scopes would be allowed on these rifles.
[/quote]

I wanted to put in another vote for the Omega on all 3 questions. Have taken 3 bucks in the 4 years with it. But seeing as I am half blind without that image enhancement tube on it, should be ok to record my vote as an Omega with a peep sight. [8D]
Old 04-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

#1 My White Super 91 in .504
#2 White Super 91 in .410 because I don't have one
#3 Alot of the muzzleloaders I have bought became money
pits. If I could do it all over I would buy some Whites and
be done with it.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

[ul][*]Pro Hunter[*]Lyman GP flinter (cause I don't own a flinter yet)! [][*]Even though I answered question #1 with thr PH, if I didn't own one I may buy something different. It's a great gun but I don't use the other barrels I have for it much. So...I may have bought a ??????...oh....I don't know!!! [/ul]