Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore owners who have installed a Bellm kit?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Encore owners who have installed a Bellm kit?

I ordered a few items from Mike Bellm today. My Endeavor shoots great but I just wanted to tune it up for good measure so there's no question in my mind. I ordered the 1X Oversized Hinge Pin and the Heavy Duty Lock-up Spring. I was offered the lighter trigger/sear spring and the heavier hammer spring but my trigger pull is perfect and I don't plan to use any other barrels.

I was just wondering how many of the Encore owners here have installed any of the Bellm modifications and did it have a positive affect on your guns performance???
Old 04-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Encore owners who have installed a Bellm kit?

Trigger springs absolutely helped my Encores (all gone now). Oversized hinge pin and stiffer recoil lug spring made them feel more solid but I'm not really sure they helped accuracy. Never tried the heavier hammer springs
Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

Very similar to the results that UC had. Trigger spring and polishing the sear has made my trigger great. Feels great and is consistant (if you check your trigger pull with a good digital gauge you will find differences with each pull. You must take an average to really see the consistency).

I also added a heavier locking bolt spring but am not sure of the benefit if any.

I think I like the heavy hammer spring but it is a bit difficult to cock the hammer and I can not honestly say it has helped with anything. I have never had a primer not ignite a powder charge....but I also have an Accura that never failed either and I can pull that hammer back with my pinky.

I have a 1x oversize hinge pin I use with my .257 Roberts barrel but do not use it with the ML barrel.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

My Encore came with a great trigger. It breaks likeglass at 3.5 pounds.Installed the .001 oversize hinge pin, the latchup springs and the stronger hammer spring. The stronger hammer spring is a must if one has centerfire rifle barrels for the Encore: Otherwise there will probably be misfires.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The stronger hammer spring is a must if one has centerfire rifle barrels for the Encore: Otherwise there will probably be misfires.
That's real interesting. My uncle bought an encore last fall as a muzzleloader and then also got a centerfire barrel for it. Hasn't shot it much, but he DID have a few misfires with the centerfire barrel. We were figuring it might be a bad lot of ammo he was shooting, but now I can suspect something different. A gun with that price tag, and that claims the ability to swap barrels with little effort should NOT be misfiring with any of the barrels in my opinion. I don't know, for all the accolades this gun seems to get it sure does seem to have a good many imperfections. I can't say that I have had similar sets of problems with the other guns from well known manufacturers. A good many cost a good deal less also.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve863

The stronger hammer spring is a must if one has centerfire rifle barrels for the Encore: Otherwise there will probably be misfires.
That's real interesting. My uncle bought an encore last fall as a muzzleloader and then also got a centerfire barrel for it. Hasn't shot it much, but he DID have a few misfires with the centerfire barrel. We were figuring it might be a bad lot of ammo he was shooting, but now I can suspect something different. A gun with that price tag, and that claims the ability to swap barrels with little effort should NOT be misfiring with any of the barrels in my opinion. I don't know, for all the accolades this gun seems to get it sure does seem to have a good many imperfections. I can't say that I have had similar sets of problems with the other guns from well known manufacturers. A good many cost a good deal less also.

You make some good points. I love my PH. It's a great shooter but since I shoot MLs more and more and center fires less and less I believe if I had to do it all over...with what I know now...I would go another way.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hasn't shot it much, but he DID have a few misfires with the centerfire barrel. We were figuring it might be a bad lot of ammo he was shooting, but now I can suspect something different.

It is something different. Took my gun to the range and fired it several times with the muzzleloder barrel. Changed to a .30-06 barrel and a range regular told me: "You will get misfires with that hammer extension on the gun."He was exactly right.

There are headspace problems with too many of the Encore centerfire barrels. At one time I had several centerfire barrels for mine.Three of them had headspace problems. Sold 2 or 3 of those barrels and used their Leupold scopes to upgrade my bolt action guns. Had the.35 Whelen barrel re-chambered for .35 Whelen Improved and that headspace problem went away.

A gun with that price tag, and that claims the ability to swap barrels with little effort should NOT be misfiring with any of the barrels in my opinion. I don't know, for all the accolades this gun seems to get it sure does seem to have a good many imperfections.
Bingo!!!! As a switch barrel gun the Encore is not worth the price orthe trouble.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bingo!!!! As a switch barrel gun the Encore is not worth the price or the trouble.
Yeah, I tried to tell my uncle that this gun costs a bit more than it should. I surely wouldn't buy one myself. I guess he got suckered by all the advertisements he sees on TV and elsewhere on it.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve863
I guess he got suckered by all the advertisements he sees on TV and elsewhere on it.
Most people do.

The Encore is a great Muzzleloader. You just got to spend a few bucks and tweak it. The Endeavor is an upgrade for sure with the copied Triumph breech plug. That eliminates the hard cleaning of the firing pin with all the blow back. But you guy's are right, it exspensive right out of the box. The Savage is the same way, it needs some tweaking as well.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had him do a trigger job on my rifle, and the job was fantastic. I also use the 1X hinge pin.

The misfires are basically a headspace problem that is only associated to certain types of cases, and it is really a resizing problem that is basically associated to any break action firearms because of "barrel gap". A little bit of sizing die adjustment corrects the problem, and should be done regardless of misfires to attain best accuracy. Tom.

Quick Reply: Encore owners who have installed a Bellm kit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.