Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?"

Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?"

Well I ended up buying a can of BlackHorn 209 ($37.00) and boy did I end up getting hood winked. I feel like I bought a bottle of snake oil.

I went to the range and proceeded to do some shooting. I must say that I did shoot all morning and never did swab the barrel. I shot different sabots and found that when I shot the black sabots, after shooting a few rounds I could not get the sabots down the barrel. I was shooting my Knight Vision. When I shot the red or green sabots I had no problem stuffig them down the barrel. At one point I had a small problem and did what most of us have done in hte past and loaded a bullet, sans powder. Well after getting the sabot out and inspecting it I was surprised at the abount of black filth and soot on the sabot. I honestly thought that if I had swabbed the barrel I could have loaded the black sabots moreeasily.

As to accuracy, I could get the same with myBP and subs. And as to cleaning, give me my old powders back. I spent 50 minutes trying to cleaning my gun with lil based cleaners. It would have taken only 15 if I was using hot, soapy water!

Sorry to say I feel like I just threw $37 out the window. For that price I could have bought three cans of Goex BP. I know that the die hards will tell me how wrong I am, but that is why I like to try something for myself. I end up trusting myself and the experiences I have over them.

But you know what the say about being bit once. Oh no, "Incoming, Incoming!!!"
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?"

What works for one, doesn't always work for all. As long as you cleaned all the shipping grease and crap out of the barrel before using it, i really dont know whats wrong. Bh209 cleans up real easy with Hoppe's out of all my Muzzleloaders. If you are falling all instructions i would call them and complain about your powder. You might of got a bad batch. Or just quit using it.

I think they will send you some powder to correct your problems. Keep us posted on what you choose to do.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

What works for one, doesn't always work for all. As long as you cleaned all the shipping grease and crap out of the barrel before using it, i really dont know whats wrong. Bh209 cleans up real easy with Hoppe's out of all my Muzzleloaders. If you are falling all instructions i would call them and complain about your powder. You might of got a bad batch. Or just quit using it.

I think they will send you some powder to correct your problems. Keep us posted on what you choose to do.
Hey Grouse45,
I was using Hoppe's #9 and the patches keptcoming out black. I tried to soak the barreldown and leave it for an hour and it did no good.

As to the barrel, this is not the first time I am shooting the gun. I have had it out twice before. I don't know, maybe I expected more form this powder after listening to all the hype. I was getting better groups using my T7, Pyro RS and Goex Pinnacle. I just thought I could have a ML that wouldbe ale to reachout to longer distances if I needed it. I guess Icould work up some T7 higher loadsfor that purpose.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

BH209 is not a more accurate powder then say 777 in my opinion. BH209 gives the ability to shoot heavier bullets at higher velocities with out all the crap that comes with 777 or black powder in general. BH209 is very clean, and non corrosive. I can take a 200grn Lehigh and shoot it just as accurate with 777 as i can with BH209. With BH209 i dont have to spit patch or any of the other crap. If you like 777 shoot it. BH209 is alot easier for me that's all. I would call Western Powders asap with your frustrations before doing anything. Then i would get that barrel as clean as possible with Hoppe's and even some Barnes CL-10 i think the name is. Then see what happens.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for your bad experience rafsob. Maybe you did get a bad batch or perhaps people have talked it up to a level that just wasn't the case. Regardless, if it doesn't work for you then I wouldn't use it. Especially not for the price. I think, just as with all things ML, they have their place. Some guns I shoot Pyrodex, some 777 some BH. Use what works for you.

BH is the only thing I shoot out of my Genesis. A few patches of Hoppes or straight alcohol and it's done. If you decide to try it again, try using 90% alcohol and see how that works.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Spike

Wow, I had been shooting t7 in my omega, but BH209 was much cleaner and slightly more accurate. Thereal selling point about it is I don't have to clean my muzzy for the whole season (2weeks). Couldn't have done that with t7, pyrodex or BP. No need to worry about POI from a clean vs dirty barrel, just foul it before the season and I am good to go.Iusually getclean patchesafter 5-7 or so. I just don't likeputting water on steel. I have noticed the breech plug needs more attention, but it only takes a few minutes.

Are you using a brush with hoppes? I hear that causes black patches many times something with the metal in the brush reacting to it.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I tried it and love it in my Omega. I find I get better accurcy with it then T7. Is the breech plug you are using the one designed to work with BH209? What primers were you using? Actually, my first outting with BH was very discouraging and I felt like you did. I was using the wrong primers and on the second outting I used Federal 209A primers and that made all the difference in the world for me.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's definitely weird. I've had nothing but great experiences with BH209. Very accurate and my follow-on shots load easier than the first shot. And clean-up is a snap taking only several minutes to get everything clean.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Banned

Just because something costs more or is heavily promoted doesn't necessarily mean it is better. Now days GREED seems to be the motivating factor for a lot of businesses,not offering a better product at a fair price. Sometimes it's a matter of let's see how much we can get for this, not what is it worth or what is a fair price Some things perform as stated but more often marketing tends to hype up the benefits to make it more desirable. Especially in a field where competition is abundant.. Like W.C.Fields said. "There is a sucker born every minute."
Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bet you were shooting a Knight for some reason a lot of Knights don't seem to be making a good combination with BH, personally I have had excellent results with it it definitely cut the groups size from my Triumph in half and I can shoot it indefinitely with out swabbing. It really sounds like there may still be some preseverative grease burn into the pours of your barrel. Lee

Quick Reply: BackHorn 209..."Just a Gimmick?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.