Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

anyone grouse hunt with muzz?

Old 04-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default anyone grouse hunt with muzz?

i was thinking it would be fun to hunt grouse/pheasants with muzzleloader.

anyone do it and what gun would be used for this.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: anyone grouse hunt with muzz?

Yeah, it is fun. But boy, that 50 cal just blows them apart. I usually try to shoot them in the head as they're flushing. I have to say though it is harder with the flintlock as compared to the percussion. Much harder to track them in the sights if ya get one of them pfffffft...boom delays.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:10 PM
mountaineer magic

If you have a T/CHawken , Renegade or a caplock like that you can get a smooth bore barrel and load it as a black powder shotgun and hunt Grouse. Otherwise you might not end up with much to eat if you use your 50 cal sabot or roundball.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I've grouse hunted a number of years with a smoothbore muzzleloading shotgun. I started out shooting a .62 caliber smoothbore which is a 20 gauge. I since have upgraded to a 12 gauge in my New Englander. I also have a Knight 12 gauge TK2000 but that's for turkey.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is really a cool pic Dave. And I see you have an old friend there too. Looks like he's a bit grey in the face too - just like you. I had an old chocolate lab that just love hunting grouse. And he was good at it too. He knew just which direction to flush them for me. We got a bunch together.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

He was fifteen years old. He passed away last January. I just have not found the heart to replace him yet. Maybe some day. He was an exceptional grouse dog. That was the last grouse he ever flushed and retrieved for me.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Dave, when our last one passed on in July - we didn't last 24 hours. Here is a pic of the spoiled brat the day we brought her home. How could you pass up that face?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Dominant Buck

SHE' BEAUTIFUL!!!! She looks like the one I had before this black devil. I really liked the Golden labs. In fact when I was heading to the kennel to get Number Seven (the name of the black devil) I was going to pick up a golden female. BUT the owner told me there was one other person interested in the female as well and it would be first come first serve. I passed her coming up the driveway on her way out, to a new home. The only one left was knuckle head. Although now I look back, I was lucky I got stuck with Number Seven. He really was an outstanding dog.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

NOTHING LIKE DOG TO HUNT WITH.my dog is small american lab.

i never thought about a smooth bore for my hawkins .50 cal.

any suggestions where to get one.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: chetmarks

If you have a T/CHawken , Renegade or a caplock like that you can get a smooth bore barrel and load it as a black powder shotgun and hunt Grouse. Otherwise you might not end up with much to eat if you use your 50 cal sabot or roundball.

Quick Reply: anyone grouse hunt with muzz?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.