Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis at 100 yards .. finally

Old 04-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Remington Genesis at 100 yards .. finally

Well the snow bank melted enough that I was able to drag my shooting table back even more. The range finder said 99 yards and 101 yards on the two shoots. That's close enough for 100 yards for me.

I started out with the Genesis shooting 110 grains of Pyrodex RS loose powder. I had the MMP blue sabots and was shooting 200 grain 10mm Hornady XTP's.

I think I have to work on the powder charge a little. Also the swabbing was a real pain. But it had to be done. And that walking back and fourth to check my shots.. well we put some miles on today.

I knew the rifle liked the Barnes 250 grain MZ Expanders with two Pyrodex pellets. When I went to town the little sporting goods store did not have Pyrodex pellets. All they had were Triple Seven pellets. So I got some of them to see how they would do.

Before I loaded I took "Simple Green" cleaner and swabbed that bore spotless. I then dried the bore real good. I wanted the Barnes to have a clean bore fair test to see what they would do.

The first shot was kind of a disappointment. I swabbed using a simple spit patch and then a dry patch between all shots. I was getting a TERRIBLE crud ring with the pellets. I mean big time. But I paid attention to the swabbing. The next four was not too bad IMO.

I then tried two of the 200 grain Shockwaves with pellets. I was surprised at first they hit so much higher, but I guess that makes sense.

I cannot say enough about how much I like this Nikon Omega scope. Clear, excellent eye relief, just a real nice scope to look through. And the Genesis with the Barnes combination would make an excellent hunting load.

After all my testing I brought the target in a little and got out a traditional rifle and just had some fun for the rest of the afternoon. When I came in I realized I'd been shooting for over three hours. But it was beautiful today. 45 degrees so I did not have to wear a jacket, sunny, a little windy but not bad. Just a nice day..
Old 04-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington Genesis at 100 yards .. finally

cayugad

Dave that really looks respectible for first time shooting T7 pellets @ 100 yards... I have not shot enough pellets to suggest anything about them, but I would like to see a target with 110 T7-2f loose and that SW.

What about the other conditions, any wind or breeze while you were shooting? especially in the trees - If I remember right you are shooting in an alley lined with timber.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

There was a slight wind.. and yes it is a alley of sorts with woods on both sides. Over all this is the first time I shot the T-7 pellets myself. I have a lot more things I want to try.

I will kick the charge on them little shockwaves next time out. Just to see what happens..
Old 04-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good shooting Dave! But that Genesis is capable of much better. 100 grains seemed to be the sweet spot for mine when I still had it. But I was shooting Blackhorn. Any more than that and accuracy suffered for me.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

That's good to know SW. I was thinking of starting at 90 grains and the work up from there and see what I get.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave - That's not bad but I too am pretty sure the Genesis will do better once you find the right load. I'm having good accuracy with mine with the Green CR sabots and 300 .430" XTPs. The 300 gr SWs were not as good. But next time out I am going to try them with the CR sabots. (remember the targets with my sidelock by switching the sabots?)
Old 04-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO that is still a really good group at that distance,yes it could be better but that would surly do for hunting.
But we all know you will work on it to get it perfect.That gun really tighted up with those pellets.That is a great
example of how a rifle can be so picky,great report
Old 04-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good shooting Dave. Just as a point of interest those 200gr SW shoot best in my Omega and Triumph at a bit over 2,000 FPS and real close to on with the Omega Nikon. I realize that the Genesis may like a different load it might even like the 50/40 Crush Rib, you never know till you try. Lee
Old 04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, you might want to try the Harverster 50/40s. The MMPs didn't shoot near as good as the Harvester's in both of my Genesis'.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I never knew Harvester made a 50/40? Is this something new?

Quick Reply: Remington Genesis at 100 yards .. finally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.