Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis at 100 yards .. finally

Old 04-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington Genesis at 100 yards .. finally

Dave - You know, looking at that group again, I don't know what I was thinking. That is some great shooting. And, if you throw out shot "A" you cut the group almost in 1/2 at right around 1".
Nice job

Old 04-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I measured it and with the first shot on a clean barrel it was an inch and a half. Without that just around an inch. So I was pleased with the Barnes. I am going to take some of the suggestions here and see if I can make them little 200 grain 10mm XTP's do better.

Not only that, them Barnes are such a pleasure to load. I am glad now I bought the store out of all they had on sale.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting, Cayugad.The .50/.40 Harvester crush rib sabot:

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=fl ypage.tpl&product_id=45&category_id=7& option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3
Old 04-05-2009, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice report Dave and also some nice shooting. I have yet to try pellets. I just like the loose powder I guess. Maybe I will breakdown and try some.

I know what you mean about the Barnes saboted bullets. They are my go to bullets for the field.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I never knew Harvester made a 50/40? Is this something new?
They've been out for a little while. I hunted with them last fall. Their website is now set up to take orders as well.

Link
Old 04-05-2009, 05:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I bought pellets more as a gimmick. At the end of the season sale at Wal Mart instead of $28.00 they were $14.00 and I figured ... what the heck. I've dropped more then that down a urnial on a Friday night at the local watering hole. Those were Pyrodex RS pellets and the Genesis just loved them.

So when I wanted to see if the Omega and some other bullets would be long range ready, I thought of pellets again. But this time Wal Mart don't stock any until season (who determines their season..), and the little sporting goods store had me over a barrel. $30.00 I think it was for a box of them Triple Seven pellets. But its fun to try different things..

Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

All "minute of deer" when ya look at it.

Good shooting. You will tighten 'em up I'm sure.

Thanks for the report.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am glad you like the Nikon Omega. I decided to go with the Leupold Ultimate Slam. It is basically the same scope for about the same price, but I selected the Ultimate Slam because I am pretty much a Leupold man.

I have yet to set up the loads for the differenet distances. My biggest problems is finding a place to shoot out to anything longer then 100 yds. I had a friend place that we could shoot out to 250, but that place is unavailable now.

My next rangeproject willbeto shoot the new Knight Vision out to 100 yds, using different bullets and powders.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

Nice report and shooting Dave as always, I bought my Genesis after reading a few of your reports and mine liked pellets as well. Both 100g and 150g with sw 250.
What about the ram rod kind of cheap and short for my tastes. Crud ring not so bad for me(swabing between everyother shot) although i put alot of force to seat bullets to marking on ram rod. Maybe superglides are the ticket for 777?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I have to agree, that ramrod leaves a lot to be desired. Although when I checked loads the other day, if the two pellets are in and a Barnes ontop.. that ramrod without being taken apart, just sticks out the end of the barrel. So at least it can act as a witness mark when I hunt. And if I get a shot at something.. I don't plan on reloading.

Quick Reply: Remington Genesis at 100 yards .. finally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.