Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just so Everyone Knows...

Old 04-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Just so Everyone Knows...

Thanks for the information - shoot I did not even know that happened -
In this area most of the wild hogs are domestic-wild boar cross. A positiveid is twosmall teeth in the lower jaw. They are present only in the hybrids.

http://www.boartuffoutdoors.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=hog;action=display;num=1141873299

To begin there is one tooth that can distinguish something about a hog. The tooth in the picture to the left is not used in the aging process. Not all hogs will have this tooth. Only Hybrid Wild Boar will have this tooth. Hybrid is a cross breed between domestic hogs and the Eurasian Hog (Russian Boar). Domestic hogs or domestic feral hogs will not have this tooth.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Old/New

Yabut! What is it? are there different types of hogs? well DUH! ya I am sure there is... but what is this and is it considered on of the tougher ones or is it a cream puff? What about the size? is this it?

I have always been told they are some what tough to harvest... does this one/type have the thick brisket?

Dang! it is terrible being ignorant of such things... I have a clue when it comes to elk, moose, deer, bear and peepers - but I am lost here.

Don't know much about them either. Just eager to hear about bullet performance.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Old/New

Just eager to hear about bullet performance.
He just sent me some cell phone pics but they are his pics so I want to let him post them. I know that is what I would want to happen.... But remember these are expensive bullets so in my mind they need to work that way.

If he relates to the stories and the doubts that the guides had about this dinky bullet from a ML - you will understand what I am talking about...

He will probably take Monday off from work just so i he can write.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

falcon

Thanks for the link - that certainly helped educate me some - I really hate missing out on this hunting...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:19 AM
Fork Horn

I would love to hunt them. On the other hand I am glad we don't have that opportunity around here. Having those kind of varmints loose in the fields would just break a farmer's heart.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:48 AM
Dominant Buck

All I know is when the Wisconsin DNR heard that some were let loose in the southwestern corner of the State and were starting to breed, they went crazy. They arrested one person who swears he did not let them loose intentionally, and they have told hunters to feel free to shoot them (with a small game license of course).

In fact (I just realized)I have a friend that owns an entire valley (he even wanted to buy the county road that runs up the valley but they would not sell)up in the bluffs along the Mississippi over there. I should call him up and have a talk with my goodold college buddy. I could see if he has a piggy problem.

They do not want them to establish a foot hold in Wisconsin. Not with all of our corn, wheat, soybean and oat fields in the south. They would have a hay day.

I spent a lot of "time"around domestic hogs. Too much in fact if you ask me. They are a strange animal. One thing you learn.. never take them for granted or take your eyes off them. One second they can be just a peaceful eating machine, and the next just down right nasty. I can only imagine what a wild or domestic cross would be like.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

In addition to being hard on agricultural land I have also heard that they really raise cane with the woods. We had some feral pigs around here a few years back that had escaped from a hog farm nearby. I think someone made bacon out of them.
Art
Old 04-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice hog!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I spent a lot of "time"around domestic hogs. Too much in fact if you ask me. They are a strange animal. One thing you learn.. never take them for granted or take your eyes off them.

+1

Hogs can and will hurt you bad. Have been charged by wild hogs three times.One was by a big wounded boar, another was by a boar in response to the distress call froma sow i had wounded. Another time i was walking to a tree stand and got between a sow and her pigs. Did not shoot at that sow on her first pass, i just got out of her way. When she turned to come back she ate a .240 grain XTP.

A friend had a close call last year. Thankfully, he was wearing a .45 M1911 on his leg. A big sow made an unprovoked charge knocking him down;the muzzleloader landed several feet away out of reach. That hogturned and came charging backto getblasted with a .45. Afterkilling that hog, my friendlooked up and there were three other hogs staring at him from a few yards away. He had several small cuts on his legs and face.

Last weekend at our place in Garvin county, i was after the fresh tracks of a huge black boar i have named Osama bin Laden. Followed the tracks into a big plum thicket.When that hog started grunting, me and my muzzleloader leftthatthicket in a hurry. That is the only time i have ever backed down from a hog. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and i was visibly shaken.Nexttime i will have my AR-15.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guy's, i was told they are pure Russian Boar. They get them from canada. No females shot by me this weekend. I might have a full report later. Alot of work to do yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.