Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Range Report on Knight Vision

Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default First Range Report on Knight Vision

Well I finally got to goout to the range with my new Knight Vision. I was pretty happy with the results so far. I ended up using T7, Pinnacle Goex, and Pyrodex RS. All performed well. As tothe T7, this was the first time I have used this powder and was not very impressed with the nasty crud ring after each shot. I thought this powder was supposed to be a cleaner burning powder? I guess I got it mixed up with some other powder. Oh well.

I ended up shooting four different bullets, the Hornaday 300 gr. XTP with the green sabot, the Honaday 300 gr. SST with the red sabot, the TC 300 gr. Shockwave with the black sabot, and at last the TC 350 gr. Maxi-Hunter. I did all my shooting at the 50 yd range and did not use my Chrony to check the velocities. I swabbed the barrel after each 3 shot groups.

Forgive the smudging on the pie plates, it started torain just as I was finishingup.

This first group was the Maxi-Hunters. Forgot to enter the group size, 2.241"

On this group I upped the charge to 90 grs of powder and not the 80 grs I had down:

This last plate was the saboted bullets. I will take the gun out again and try it out to 100 yds next time:

I really enjoyed shooting this gun and will have it out again soon. I want to go out to 100 yds and I also will eat my crow
and buy some of that new stuff Blackhorn 209. I still don't like the idea of paying so much money for any powder, but if it
turns out to give me the most accuracy for hunting, I will try it.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Range Report on Knight Vision

Thanks for the report! I'm glad to hear you're pleased with your rifle. Yeah, that 777 powder is known for the crud ring although some people don't get it.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for posting your results.

I'm surprisedabout the crud ring with 777 and the Knight.Not that bad with my older Knights.My guess is the redesigned B/P in your rifle is allowing more flame to the powder... better for BH209.

What primer were you using ?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rt_con

Thanks for posting your results.

I'm surprisedabout the crud ring with 777 and the Knight.Not that bad with my older Knights.My guess is the redesigned B/P in your rifle is allowing more flame to the powder... better for BH209.

What primer were you using ?
That may very well be. The blowback wasn't there. I only had a slight ghosting ring around the firing pin and none in the surrounding area. It could bed that all the gases now are thrown forward into the barrel and this may cause the crud rings.

I will be getting the BH209 and see howit shoots and operates. I should have some by next Wed. and give ita go.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

rafsob

I really wish I could come up with a good explanation of the T7 'thing'. I shoot it in everything including the PRB Renegade - very little sign of the 'crud ring' thing - sure would not interfer with reloading for several rounds...
Old 04-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Dominant Buck

For the first time out with a rifle, you have to be pleased. If you have any cornmeal in the house, try those maxiball, but after you load them, dump a spoon full (table spoon) of cornmeal on top of the powder, then set the maxi.. see if that does not help. It might, it might not.

Those sabots shoot real good. 80 grains is a good charge. What kind of scope or sights were you shooting?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

rafsob
If you should happened to solve the "crud ring thing" do let us know, I got it so bad when I tried to use 777 that I had to scrub the barrel or it was not possible to load the next shot.
On the other hand I have shot haf a can of BH209 with out wiping the barrel and the last group was as good as the first. Lee
Old 04-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

For the first time out with a rifle, you have to be pleased. If you have any cornmeal in the house, try those maxi ball, but after you load them, dump a spoon full (table spoon) of cornmeal on top of the powder, then set the maxi.. see if that does not help. It might, it might not.

Those sabots shoot real good. 80 grains is a good charge. What kind of scope or sights were you shooting?
The idea of using a fill may work. Ican give it a try.

As to the scope, I got a Leupold Ultimate Slam andI loveit. I have always been a Leupold man, but this scope it sweet. My range time is not complete. I will be trying higher charges of powder and still want to try that BH209. I know it is very expensive, but if it works, it will be good for hunting charges.

Hey Sabotloader, I was surprised about the crud rings with the T7. I was always told it burned a lotcleaner then therest. I am thinking that because of the new breech plug design, it may bethrowing all the gases forward so effectively that it is creating the rings. Notan engineer, but that is the only thing I can think of. I did notice a thick buildup of carbon on the B/P face in the barrel section.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

rafsob
If you should happened to solve the "crud ring thing" do let us know, I got it so bad when I tried to use 777 that I had to scrub the barrel or it was not possible to load the next shot.
On the other hand I have shot haf a can of BH209 with out wiping the barrel and the last group was as good as the first. Lee
Well Lee, I hope to find out abou this new powder. In my area I will have to pay about $35 for a 10 oz. can. But if it works as you say, it should make for a great hunting powder. I still have my side locks and real BP to toy with and have fun.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

rafsob

Hey Sabotloader, I was surprised about the crud rings with the T7. I was always told it burned a lot cleaner then the rest. I am thinking that because of the new breech plug design, it may be throwing all the gases forward so effectively that it is creating the rings. Not an engineer, but that is the only thing I can think of. I did notice a thick buildup of carbon on the B/P face in the barrel section
For most of the length of the barrel it does burn cleaner.. it is that burn zone right under the sabot where the ring normally builds up. Some people say the temperature of the primer makes a big difference.

It is normal for the face of the BP to build a pretty decent amount of crud on it - but it really does not effect your shooting. I am not sure it is carbon because it washes right off with water.

Quick Reply: First Range Report on Knight Vision

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.