Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Test of a good bullet

Old 04-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Spike

Default Test of a good bullet

ggggggggggggggggggggggg

Last edited by borecleaningweasel; 09-02-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Test of a good bullet

borecleaningweasel

"would a Marine use the bullet?"
Well today you could not use a bullet the Marine would use - his bullets are not really meant to kill. They are meant to inflict casualties and tie up other people taking care of the wounded. A hunting bullet is a completly different story.

What bullet is the best? easy the bullet that works best for you one that you have faith and trust in. My favorites - I could suggest them to you but until you try them harvest with them are not really your favorite.

I like to think I am a good judge of bullet performance but even ny standards are not necessaritly anyone elses....

To choose a bullet it is somewhat on trust, faith, and your personal knowledge. Usually if you are just beginning to lsten to advertising hype, you ask a trusted friend and you have enough faith in him/her to make a decision on what you would like to try.

As far as the Lehigh's go - I personally think they show promise, but at this point and time I really do not know. The physical description of how they work bothers me, but if you break it down to math - mathematically they should work well, what is that show on TV that relies on math to solve everything? Numbers that's it...

When I read accounts of the 45-70 guys shooting buffalo with them and having really decnt success - I guess I am thinking they will work on an elk but only time will tell.

Hope i have not muddied the waters...
Old 04-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'm qualified to comment on this topic being that I'm an active duty Marine and have been for 10 years. Personally, I wouldn't use Lehigh Bullets but I don't get to choose what I take onto the battle field with me. I shoot what the Marine Corps issues me.

For my personal weapons, I choose a bullet based on other peoples experiencesand thentest them for myself. Sabotloader hit the nail on the head when he said...

What bullet is the best? easy the bullet that works bet for you one that you have faith and trust in. My favorites - I could suggest them to you but until you try them harvest with them are not really your favorite.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: borecleaningweasel

There are so many bullets out there ,with more coming out everyday that it can be overwhelming to even pick one to try. There are so many that i don't even think a person would have time to test them all.So what is the best way to determine if a bullet is good or not. I think a good test would be whether or not it is good enough to stake your life on. For example in the civil war the Conical and mini were proven. So i use them to hunt with. Now we don't have muzzle loaders for the military anymore but we do still have good soldiers. So maybe we ought to ask our self this question, "would a Marine use the bullet?" I've read a lot of discussions on bullets and no one agrees. .There are so many bullets and they have different purposes, but if we could only stockpile one bullet, what would it be, Lehigh,SST,Shockwave,GoldDot, etc etc.
So let's start by asking ,"would a Marine use Lehigh bullets? Why or why not?
My answer to that is no they would not and my logic is that the Lehigh are designed for snipers, not
"fire power" spraying. Chap

Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

borecleaningweasel

Lehigh,SST,Shockwave,GoldDot, etc etc.
Actually got to thinking about it - but all of these would theoretically be against the Geneva Convention - if anyone follows that any longer.

Except the possibly the 50BMG bullet that Chap speaks of as it is ball ammunition -I think built to government spec's
Old 04-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

borecleaningweasel

Lehigh,SST,Shockwave,GoldDot, etc etc.
Actually got to thinking about it - but all of these would theoretically be against the Geneva Convention - if anyone follows that any longer.

Except the possibly the 50BMG bullet that Chap speaks of as it is ball ammunition -I think built to government spec's
Did you serve? You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on military stuff.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

SWThomas

Yep, in the really fun one Viet Nam - yuk!.... but the information comes from the my History background and a lot of folks in the family that were in all the different branches - but the Navy remains the best.

I have spent a lot time around the military also as some of my best friends are military mostly ground pounders...
Old 04-02-2009, 12:31 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

SWThomas

Yep, in the really fun one Viet Nam - yuk!.... but the information comes from the my History background and a lot of folks in the family that were in all the different branches - but the Navy remains the best.

I have spent a lot time around the military also as some of my best friends are military mostly ground pounders...
Me too. Petty officer on the USS BIDDLE CG34. Last conventional Frigate reclassified as Guided Missile cruiser after overhaul in the Bath Me. shipyards. Vietnam era vet. Thankfully I boarded the Biddle when it returned from a 6 month tour of Nam. Thankfully

Old 04-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

chetmarks

I did two trips over there one was an extended trip because the USS Kittyhawk could not get out of Yokohama - she were broke - so we ended up doing two hitches in a row filing in for her... that was a long time in the Gulf of Tonkin...

Well we have something sorta in common - I was on the oldest CVA in the fleet at the time - but one of the most dependable CVA 19 USS Hancock.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 PM
mountaineer magic

That was one of the Pacific fleet wasn't it?Out of San Diego? I was Atlantic fleet, pier 22 at D&S Piers Norfolk Va.

Quick Reply: Test of a good bullet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.