Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another day with the T/C Hawkin and some roundball

Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Another day with the T/C Hawkin and some roundball

I shot yesterday at 30 yards. I was impressed with the rifle. But Sabotloader asked me how well this rifle would hold out to say... 75 yards.

The rifle of course was still my Thompson Center Hawkin .50 caliber percussion. I was shooting RWS 1075 caps. Powder was 100 grains of Graf's & Sons 2f. And I was using a wet moosemilk patch with the cast .490 roundball I purchased from Gander Mountian.

Well that haunted me all night. So today I put another three inch Birchwood Casey Red Dot Bulls eye on the target, duct taped up all the old bullet holes so as not to confuse me.. Pulled up stakes at the 30 yard and marched it back to 75 yards. Well I discovered at 75 yards the snow was frozen too hard to drive the PVC legs into the snow. But I was able to find a spot at 72 yards where I could get it to stick with some bracing. So that's the best I could do Sabotloader.. 72 yards. Man that three inch orange dot is small back there. I actually got readings of 70,72, and 77 yards, but I got 72 yards more often through my Bushnell Sports Pro range finder.

This was holding that orange bull in a six o'clock hold making a 8 out of the front bead and the bull. The first shot on a clean barrel surprised me. The next two over joyed me.

I kept on shooting the ball without swabbing until it was time for shot #6. So I swabbed the barrel clean using Simple Green Cleaner, then dried it with alcohol, patched it dry, and popped a cap. Loaded and shot #6. I was not pleased with #6 but that's the way it goes.

At the end of the day the target looked like this... I stopped walking up there to check as it was a walk on ice packed snow. Where that one came from, I have no idea.

But to answer Sabotloader's question of how well would it shoot at 75 (72) yards.. Not to bad at all.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Another day with the T/C Hawkin and some roundball

Mighty fine shooting Cayugad. That"no idea on earth" shot is there to keep you humble. 100 grains of powder with a .50 is pushing that ball pretty good. I guess I'll have to try upping my powder charge with balls and see what happens.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really good shooting there,i guess you'll be sleeping just fine tonight
Old 03-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

When I walked up there to take the target down and saw that high hit.. I really was shocked. Because I had excellent ignition, and my sight picture was all fine and consistent. It really threw me. But maybe I needed that. Now I have something to strive for.

After I shot 2&3 I was pumped... And actually at the end of the day a lot of the shots tended to drift in that direction. But overall I was real pleased with that. I never was a good open sight shooter.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

This was holding that orange bull in a six o'clock hold making a 8 out of the front bead and the bull. The first shot on a clean barrel surprised me. The next two over joyed me.

I kept on shooting the ball without swabbing until it was time for shot #6. So I swabbed the barrel clean using Simple Green Cleaner, then dried it with alcohol, patched it dry, and popped a cap. Loaded and shot #6. I was not pleased with #6 but that's the way it goes.

At the end of the day the target looked like this... I stopped walking up there to check as it was a walk on ice packed snow. Where that one came from, I have no idea.

But to answer Sabotloader's question of how well would it shoot at 75 (72) yards.. Not to bad at all.

Great!!!! that is some really nice shooting and I really do know what you mean when you say the ball is small @ 75....

I can not tell you how happy I am to see that 'no ideal' shot - you are human...

I am hoping to get out early this week and get some PRB shooting in - I am going to revert back to what was working and forget about trying to please the patch Gods...

Dave I saw your 'moose milk' formula in another post and when i read it I do remember the old timer I bought the patch lube I am using said it has an oil in it he uses to sharpen band saw blades @ the Troy mill - he is the millwright there. It is a turquoise blue color - pretty runny stuff almost like water, smells of some sort of soap... Just can tell you what it is for sure - They 'old boy' group says it it is their 'secret magical formula.' I still have about 16oz's of it so it should last for awhile.

What is the peroxide for in the formula????
Old 03-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

peroxide in my lube mix? Perhaps you meant the Witch Hazel...

4 ounces NAPA Auto Parts #765-1526 Soluble Cutting & Grinding Oil
1 ounce Murphy's Oil Soap
7 ounces 91% Isopropyl alcohol
16 ounces tap water

Castor Oil 4 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.

Be sure when making the Moose milk to mix the alcohol and Castor oil together first. Then add the witch hazel. Add all of this to the water and shake. Finally after that mixture is all together add the Murphy’s oil soap.

Lube #2 is from a person named Stumpkiller. He used the Castor oil because it is allnatural. So when I ran out of my NAPA lube, I made up a batch of his. His recipe called for the Witch Hazel. So I just added what he said. What does it do... no idea really to be honest with you.

Also that NAPA cutting oil is light blue in color as I remember. I have almost shot off my last quart of #2 lube and so I might make up some #1 next time. It worked really good.

Also for hunting, if you're worried about the liquid part of the lube on the patch, soak that strip of patch material, ring it out, then dry it on a window screen. That oil will stay in the cloth and you can shoot it just like that. You might have heard of the old timers talking about shoot a dry patch.. that is what they mean sometimes. Its still slippery, but actually dry.

Since I have had others ask me how I load a roundball with out a pre cut patch, this might explain my method to everyone who really wants to know.

Here is an easy way to apply the liquid moose milk. Put a generous amount on the moosemilk on thestrip of cloth, like in the picture. I have an old OFF Bug juice pump spray bottle that I spritz the cloth with. Then fold that patch material over and kind of roll it up on itself. It will spread that liquid around and it will push that lube into the strip of cloth.

After you unroll the cloth you will note that the material is not really as wet as you might think. But then I just lay that over the muzzle and put a ball on it.

With my short starter small nose, I then drive that under the muzzle.

Then I pinch the cloth in my fingers, while the ball in the barrel holds it nice and tight. Then with a scissors or pocket knife I cut that strip away from the muzzle. I normally cut half way between the actual rifle muzzle and my fingers. Then with the long nose of the short starter I drive that perfect centered patched balldown the barrel. And of course finish it off with the ramrod. It slides down real easy actually.

With the patch material wet/damp like it is, it swabs the bore for me, slides easy, and since I am going to shoot it off right away, there is little harm in it contaminating the powder charge. I actually like the damp patch on the target range. And because of the alcohol it will not freeze up in our Wisconsin winters on the range. I have shot as many as 20 rounds shooting black powder, without having to swab.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dang you are right - i was thinking MAP - you traditional guys have a language all your own and I am way behind....

Taking your 'MM' recipes to Terry right now to see if she has some of the mixens...

What colr does yours end up being? Dumb question - huh? milk dah - white...
Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

If it sits for a while it will turn clear.. but once you shake it, it looks just like milk. I get most my stuff at Wal Mart in the pharmacy section. The NAPA oil of course came from NAPA.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Then I pinch the cloth in my fingers, while the ball in the barrel holds it nice and tight. Then with a scissors or pocket knife I cut that strip away from the muzzle. I normally cut half way between the actual rifle muzzle and my fingers. Then with the long nose of the short starter I drive that perfect centered patched balldown the barrel. And of course finish it off with the ramrod. It slides down real easy actually.

With the patch material wet/damp like it is, it swabs the bore for me, slides easy, and since I am going to shoot it off right away, there is little harm in it contaminating the powder charge. I actually like the damp patch on the target range. And because of the alcohol it will not freeze up in our Wisconsin winters on the range. I have shot as many as 20 rounds shooting black powder, without having to swab.
[/quote]

Cayugad,
I made a patch knife out of an old hack saw blade many years ago, it works great. It's flexable and cuts thru the ticking I just ground down the blade put a edge on itand pinned it between 2 slabs of oak. Still use it.