Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Explanation of Lehigh Bullets.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Explanation of Lehigh Bullets.

Here are some pics from Lehigh's site regarding the seperation:

Brass vs Copper

http://lehighbullets.com/information/technicaldata.htm

Old 03-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

TNHagies

I cleared the same picture up a bit and labeled a couple of things, namely the bullets location in the jell

Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

That's an interesting comparison. Before I make any final judgement on the bullet I would want to try/know a couple things with it...

#1 accuracy (if the bullet is not accurate, then it has no place for me)
#2 penetation (from the above test photos it looks like the bullet does real well there)
#3 wound channel (again, from the photo above it looks like it takes care of that problem real well)
#4 shock value to real time animals. (foam and ballistic gel are all fine and good, but I want to see how it works on in the field animals.)

Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

That's an interesting comparison. Before I make any final judgement on the bullet I would want to try/know a couple things with it...

#2 penetation (from the above test photos it looks like the bullet does real well there)
#3 wound channel (again, from the photo above it looks like it takes care of that problem real well)
#4 shock value to real time animals. (foam and ballistic gel are all fine and good, but I want to see how it works on in the field animals.)
It's that's simple.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

ORIGINAL: cayugad

It's that's simple.

Well said Cayugad. This is obviously a different way to think about bullet performance. It will take some getting used to by most.Others will not want to venture into something so different no matter what. So...it will come down to performance on animals if the other issues are satisfied. And even then, if reports are great, movement to using this bullet will more than likely be slow.

Grouse45,
Good info. Once again looking forward to your hog hunt!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's also another factor to the above gel test. Not saying this is the case but being the constant skeptic, until unbiased data presents itself, there's no telling what variables factored into the results of that test. The test was obviously conducted by Lehigh or someone affiliated with Lehigh, therefore the information is suspect from the get go. I'm not saying they canned the results but there's no telling what bullets were actually used, what powder charges, how the gellatin was mixed, etc... All manufacturers skew their in-house tests somewhat. ALL OF THEM. For example, the rifle shooting the copper projectile could have been loaded with a lesser powder charge and therefore the projectile didn't penetrate as deep. I know it sounds paranoid but I'm just a realist. Their obviously not going to post test results on their website that show their product being outperformed by another product.

Hopefully Grouses hog hunt will clear a lot of this up. As hard as a brass bullet must be, I have no doubt it will penetrate well, but what it does on it's way out is what I'm really anxious to see. I'd really like to see the entry wound, exit wound(s), and the damage done to the inside.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

SWThomas

Thought I posted that once already...

These are from a 50 BMG and the deer was at 860 yards - so you can pretty much say that a brass pointy Lehigh works...

Here is the inny...

And here is the outy...

But again it was taken by Dave Fricke of Lehigh
Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

SWThomas

Thought I posted that once already...

These are from a 50 BMG and the deer was at 860 yards - so you can pretty much say that a brass pointy Lehigh works...

Here is the inny...

And here is the outy...

But again it was taken by Dave Fricke of Lehigh

Ya Butt, Dave coulda doctored this kill with his huntin nife, ta make it look like dat...and problee shot it at 50 yards anaway.....
Old 03-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lane

That is the problem with these forums I really can tell if you are serious @ suggesting that Dave doctored the photos?

If you are... I guess I really mis-judged you... my-bad

Here is a couple of more - 510 yards on Red Stag - but again a 50bmg

Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Lane

That is the problem with these forums I really can tell if you are serious @ suggesting that Dave doctored the photos?

If you are... I guess I really mis-judged you... my-bad

Here is a couple of more - 510 yards on Red Stag - but again a 50bmg

Sabotloader

This was obviously conducted by Lehigh or someone affiliated with Lehigh, therefore the information is suspect from the get go. I'm not saying they canned the results but there's no telling what bullets were actually used, what powder charges,.....

Therefore, I Automatically suspect foul play and such, and question boldly the integrity of folks I've never met, and I try to cast doubt in the minds of all who read my postings, and then I hide behind the anonymity of the internet. [8D]

Quick Reply: Explanation of Lehigh Bullets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.